Chapter 24: We Are Connected

ARI

We stood staring at each other for over 5 minutes. When he still didn't move, I sat down on the porch.

Alex growled at me and motioned towards the door with his giant wolf head. He wants me to go back inside.

I shook my head. "Nope, So you either stay where you are or come sit next to me." I said boldly.

Alex's wolf head growled before rolling his eyes. He continued to stay there. I just sat there and looked up at the sky, watching as the clouds moved in front of the moon.

After a few minutes, I heard him padding over to me and sitting down. I felt his body heat, making me smile. I continued to look at the night sky.

There was a cool breeze in the air and I was worried if Alex felt cold.

"Aren't you cold?" He looked at me with his black eyes almost like I was stupid. "Oh yeah, I forgot about your fur."

I went to touch him but he growled and I snapped my hand back, my heart jumping.

He whined when he realized he scared me and moved ever so slightly towards me. I took it as permission and laid my hand in his wolf shoulders, stroking his soft fur.

I watched and listened to his heart, his breath, everything about him. I can't believe this is how I look when I'm changed. Alex was panting like a dog, which he basically was, and I eyed his giant teeth that looked so sharp and dangerous.

He didn't say anything as I watched him. Maybe he knew I was doing it because I've never been so close to another wolf before.

"I still can't believe their are others out there like me." I whispered, stroking his fur. "I honestly thought I was alone in the world. I felt so-so monstrous." Alex moved even closer to me and placed his head near my lap.

I smiled and moved my hand to his head. I liked wolf Alex. He was a lot sweeter and gentler as opposed to his human self.

"I don't know what it is about you, but I-I can't explain it." Why was I being so bold and talking to him about my feelings?

"You know when I first shifted-" I laughed out loud, slapping my knee. "My Mom didn't know what was happening. I just remembered this intense pain in my body and then everything breaking. I thought I was possessed by a demon! Obviously know I realize I'm not but man, that was the scariest, most painful night of my life." 

Alex moved his head into my lap and relaxed. I think he was comforting me. I almost hugged his giant head but I didn't want to scare him away.

"My Mom almost dialed 911. Can you believe if the police actually showed up and my mom tried to say that I turned into a wolf? I'm pretty sure she would have been thrown into the mental hospital. I'm so happy that she's a strong human being because I don't know what I would do without her Alex. She's my entire world. She's taught me right from wrong like how to control myself when I shifted. How to control my anger, which I'm still not very good at it, I mean you probably know." Alex's head moved up and down and I scoffed.

"Excuse me mister! It's not like you're unicorns and rainbows all the time!" Alex made a weird sound and I could only guess he was laughing. "Do all wolves have difficulties controlling their anger?" Alex nodded again.

It was quiet for a long time before I spoke again. Wolf Alex was making me want to spill my secrets and want his comfort. I was just taking advantage of the time I had with him before he turned into human Alex again.

"You know when I was a kid, I had these nightmares that would have me screaming and throwing my arms and legs around my dad, he would get so upset and try to find what the root of my problem was, like why I was always screaming and having the same nightmare. He always thought I was a mystery. If only he could see me now."