Chapter 16: Money and Giant White Mansions

ARI

My mother and I avoided talking about Alex and I was glad. Today was finally Friday, meaning it was Jen's party tomorrow! I was going out with her today to go dress shopping.

"Hey, I'll meet you by your car!" I closed my locker and ran to my moms office.

"Okay, hurry!" Jen shouted after me.

I reached my mom's door and without knocking, I barged in.

"-just a couple of days!" Her back was to me so I slipped back outside before she could see that I had come in.

I strained my ear to hear what was happening. Her heart was thumping at a fast pace and her voice sounded worried.

"Please try to understand, I just moved here with my daughter just a week ago! You can't tell me the check didn't clear for the down payment. I was told we could move in as soon as possible! N-no, I-"

Our check didn't clear? Our loan really didn't take. How could the bank do this to us?

I clenched my teeth. Was it Alex?

"You can't tell me after I've already uprooted my life and moved a thousand miles away! But it-no I can't send that much within three days-listen to me-"

Then she was quiet for a while and then I heard a small 'okay' and then a click.

Are we going to lose our house? Crap.

What can I even do? I don't have a job? I checked my phone and yup! Still no calls or messages about any interviews.

I heard sniffling through the door and I couldn't just stand there, so I knocked.

"Who is it?" She asked trying to sound normal.

"Mom?"

"Oh, uh, give me a minute!" I could hear her trying to clear her nose and throat, probably fixing her hair too.

"Come in sweetie."

I opened the door and was about to go and hug my mom but she was just sitting there with a wide smile on her face.

"Um, is everything okay?" I asked, wringing my hands.

"Of course! I was just busy with this paperwork that needed to be done by today." She started to shuffle through some papers, the smile still on her face.

I guess she didn't want to tell me we had problems. I sighed. Of course she didn't. She always wanted to deal with everything herself.

Well not this time.

"Oh okay cool! I was actually wondering if I could go shopping with Jen right now, she needs a dress for her party tomorrow." I faked enthusiasm by flashing my own fake smile.

If my mom thinks she's protecting me by not telling me, then I won't ruin it. I'll just have to help her secretly.

"What party? Where? Who's going?" Now she seemed like my mom.

"Uh, Jen's 18th birthday party, her house and all of her friends. She invited me and I thought it would be rude to say no." I added when I noticed the disapproval on her face.