Chapter 21: Snooping Is Bad, Kids.

ARI

"What's wrong?" I asked her, sitting on the bed next to her.

She had tears in her eyes and I could tell she was trying hard to not let them spill over.

I took a wild guess. "Is this about Nate?"

She looked at me with surprise but nodded her head.

I put my hand on her shoulder. "Was it something he said?"

She nodded her head again. "So you want to talk about it." She was about to nod her head but then shook it. I respected her feelings and nodded in return.

"I know something that will cheer you up!" I bounced off the bed and towards my backpack.

Jen sniffled and looked at me in confusion.

I dug around in my bag until I felt the small box. "Aha!" I took out a small box wrapped with blue wrapping paper.

Jen hopped up on her feet and ran towards me, grabbing the small box in excitement. "Ooo! My favorite color!"

I laughed. "See I told you it would cheer you up!"

She ignored me and opened the box to find a bracelet. It was a charm bracelet that had a bunch of little charms that were of her personality.

She gasped and clasped it around her wrist. "Oh my god, Ari! This is freaken awesome!" She hugged me tight.

"Thanks! I didn't know if you would like it or not." I hugged her back.

"I love it. Best gift ever." She smiled looking at the different charms.

There was a knock on the door and my eyes snapped to Ashley and Anna who were standing there with bright smiles.

Jen ran towards them and held out her wrist. "Look guys! Isn't it pretty!"

Both of them admired it. "Damn this is nice gift! Beats my gift." Anna pouted.

Jen laughed. "Yeah, it totally does!" Anna gasped dramatically grabbing her heart. "Oh the pain!"

I laughed with them. They suddenly stopped laughing and had blank looks on there faces. There eyes glazed over.

Ugh, not again.

"Jen?" I asked when they didn't move for a minute.

Jen snapped out of it. "Oh, Ari!"

I narrowed my eyes at her but didn't say anything. Maybe I'll get my answers soon.

"Do you mind if I shower?" I asked her. She was looking over her shoulder at Anna and Ashley. I could hear a couple of people in the hallway.

"Yeah, go ahead! Take your time." She laughed nervously.

"Uh, I'll be downstairs, text me when you're done." She sped out with Anna and Ashley in tow.

They acted so weird around me and I wanted to know why. I can't help but feel everything that was happening to me was connected.

I left my phone on charge and went into the bathroom. I was so glad I packed extra under garments. I peeled out of my clothes from the party and threw them into my backpack. Then I stepped under the nice hot water, spraying down any trace of alcohol and Alex that I had on my skin.

Alex. I sighed sadly and continued my much needed shower.

***

I brushed through my wet hair and left it to air dry. I was wearing the same clothes I wore to help decorate the house. I was glad I was because I felt so relaxed, I didn't even mind thinking about Alex anymore.