Awkwardly Talking

Awkwardly Talking

"I still think you're mad for inviting a could-be-future-Death-Eater along to our meeting!" Sirius complained as they ate lunch at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. He had dark circles under his eyes from all of the firewhiskey and a particularly sour mood. "We still don't know for sure that he isn't pro-Moldy-more." He glanced at Remus and nudged a bit more rice and beans onto his plate and elbowed him, waving at the plate.

Remus looked pained. But he wasn't eating and Sirius wasn't going to let what happened at Yule Ball happen again so he gave him The Look and Remus sighed and picked up his fork with a shaky hand. They were still a week away from the full moon - it was concerning Sirius that Remus looked as bad as he did already. Bad moon, he kept telling himself, It's going to be a bad moon. That must be it.

Luckily, the others (aside from James) looked just as bad thanks to the firewhiskey the night before and Remus didn't stand out.

Peter was bad enough that he had slept through breakfast (the first mean he had willingly skipped, ever) and had gone to get sandwiches mid-morning from the house elves in the kitchen before going back to bed to skip lunch (the second meal he had willingly skipped, ever) in favor of sleeping longer.

James put down the pumpkin juice he'd been drinking while Sirius whined for the hundredth time about meeting up with Regulus. "You've got to give the poor kid a chance, Pads. I know you've got some history and all - we all do - but he's trying. He's struggling but he's trying. You said you lot talked in the tunnel coming back that night."

Sirius watched Remus eat for a moment, then turned back to James, "Yeah, we did, we talked, but - I dunno, he's been acting dodgy again the last month since then, I've been watching him over there..." he nodded toward the Slytherin table and James turned in his seat to look over, then turned back to face Sirius. "He's always... separated and... and upset looking."

"He's mourning the loss of his girlfriend, Sirius, of course he's going to look upset," James said, "Or did you forget about Maryrose already?" His voice was sharp at this last bit.

"Calm your tits, Jay - I've forgotten nothing," Sirius replied. He sighed when James gave him a Look. "Potter, really? Of course I haven't forgotten Maryrose. Brilliant girl that she was, and the most fucking awesome hair. I would've inducted her into P.A.H.W.F.A.H.W.W.N.D.J.P., except she had already broken the W.W.N.D.J.P. bit. She was the sweetest girl you've ever dated. Granted her only competition was Bananalee down there, but she was still the sweetest girl."

James rolled his eyes.

Sirius sighed, "James."

James looked up.

"I haven't forgotten. I'll never forget." Sirius's voice was level and heavy.

James nodded and turned back to his sandwich.

Sirius looked at Remus, who'd finished the rice and beans and he grinned, "Oi Moonsicle, you've done well."

Remus had his eyes closed.

"You alright, then, Moony?" James asked from across the table.

Remus nodded. "Brilliant."

Lily came into the Great Hall then and James saw her as she looked over the table carefully. There were two spots available. One between him and Frank Longbottom, and one down the table, by Meg and McKenna. Lily stood awkwardly for a moment, unsure where to go.

James stood up, "I'm gonna go wait for Reg in the entrance hall," he said, taking the second half of his sandwich to go. He knew Lily wanted to sit with Frank and Ali, not McKenna and Meg, but he also knew she was hesitating coming to sit by him. He decided to take himself out of the equation. "See you." He turned and headed for the door... as he passed Lily, he said, "Sorry."