Threatening a Werewolf

Over the weekend, nobody noticed that three of the first years kept disappearing to talk in shadowy areas in the hallway. Nobody noticed that they spent half of Saturday in the library, pouring over an old book of maps and Hogwarts: A History. Nobody noticed.

On Sunday, a second meeting of the Order of the Phoenix was held in the Secret Meeting Room and Regulus reported that he hadn't yet heard anything back from Kreacher, but that he was sure Kreacher would report back very soon with news on where Harold Minchum was. Alabaster Jackson pulled James aside after the meeting and asked if he, James, really believed Regulus was trying at all to find Minchum or if he was just pretending to keep them all distracted.

"I believe Regulus, completely and absolutely," James answered.

"And did you check his wrist?" Alabaster asked.

"I did," James replied.

"He doesn't really have it then? The Dark Mark?" Alabaster asked.

James answered smoothly, "I saw nothing to make me doubt Regulus Black."

Meanwhile, James noticed that in Remus's absence Sirius and Lily were talking a lot, whispering to one another in the hall on Monday morning on the way down to Potions class, and Sirius carried her cauldron for her, laughing at her jokes and happily pulling out her chair at their desk in the classroom. Lily thanked him as Sirius went over to his own table, where Severus Snape was reading his textbook.

James looked at Lily, "Well aren't you in a good mood this morning."

She glanced at him, "What?"

"Flirting about with Sirius like you just were."

Lily raised her eyebrow, "Flirting about with Sirius?"

"Yeah," and James imitated the way she'd giggled and patted his arm, "Oh Sirius, you're so funny, such a crack up really, oh Sirius --"

"You're a git, Potter," she said with an eye roll.

"Well stop flirting and perhaps this wouldn't be a problem," James answered sourly. He pulled out his potions book from his bag and flipped to the page Slughorn had written on the board.

"I'm not flirting," Lily replied, "Merlin's beard, do you even know what flirting is."

James said, "Of course I do."

"You don't act like you do."

"You flirt with me all of the time."

Lily scoffed, "Potter, I do not flirt with you."

"Yeah, alright," he replied. "Except you do."

Lily looked like she would've liked to hit him with the wooden spoon she held. "When have I ever flirted with you?"

"Every day."

Lily put her hands on her hips, "When. Name one specific time."

"Mistletoe," he hissed.

"You were taking advantage of a situation, manipulating my feelings. Wooing me when I was down and all that rubbish. It doesn't count. Name a different time."

"Nearly kissing me in the Library. And the Shrieking Shack during Bambi. Actually kissing me in the Common Room."

"Hung over, stupid, and drunk."