Werewolf in the Tunnel

After dinner, James and Peter were on the way back up to Gryffindor Tower, and were nearly to the second floor stairs when James realized he'd left his wand on the table in the Great Hall and had to go back. "You go on, I'll catch you up," said James, and he ran back for the wand as Peter twitchily continued on up the stairs, wringing his hands with nervousness over the action of the plan that Sirius had stewed up. James trotted back down the stone steps and into the Hall, snatching his wand up from the mostly emptied Gryffindor table. "Dunno why I always forget you," he told the wand, "I'm a ruddy idiot, I swear..." and he started back to rejoin Peter.

In the entrance hall, James found Fabian and Gideon Prewett, adjusting one another's cloaks. He looked up at them as he walked toward the stone staircase. "Where are you lot off to?" he asked with curiosity in his tone.

Fabian looked over at him, "Just out, Mr. Potter. Resistance business. Going to be watching over the Shrieking Shack during the full moon tonight with Mr. Scamander."

Gideon nodded, winking, "Just making sure there's no further trouble from Greyback's Army to be dealing with."

James nodded, "Well, that's good... careful of the dementors."

"Of course!" the twins said together.

James waved, and headed up the stairs, clutching his wand in his fist as he thundered along up the steps, taking some of them two at a time, until he caught up with Peter Pettigrew on the sixth floor staircase. He held his wand up, "Got it."

"Spiffing," Peter said. There was a tremble to his voice.

"You alright, mate?" James asked, "You seem... worked up."

"Good, fine, I'm brilliant, spiffing," Peter nodded.

James raised an eyebrow.

"Really."

Bradley and Remus sat on the couch in the Shrieking Shack together - Bradley was eating chicken fingers and chips from a greasy carton that Newt Scamander had brought back from the Hog's Head. Remus was trying desperately not to gag over the scent of the food. He remembered when he was younger, how famished he used to feel on Full Moon Days, and he knew the younger boy needed to eat, regardless of how ill the very scent of that chicken and chips was making him feel. To distract himself, he told Bradley stories while he ate.

Bradley was laughing as Remus told him a funny story about a wizard who swallowed his wand by mistake and accidentally made magic when he got a case of the hiccups (which would really be quite impossible, but Bradley certainly seemed to enjoy it - especially the sound effects Remus was making and special effects with colorful sparks from his own wand). Bradley's eyes sparkled and when Remus's tale came to an end, he cried, "Another one! Please!"

Remus laughed, "It's nearly moon rise, I dunno if we've time for another story."

"Please, please, they're so good!" Bradley begged, nibbling a chicken finger he held in his tiny fingers. He had a bit of sauce smeared on his cheek from eating and the end of his nose was dirty from Merlin knew what. Remus grabbed a napkin, reaching over to sweep the grime from Bradley's face gently. Bradley made a face as Remus wiped him off. "Tell me one about a dog."

"Alright, let's see..." Remus murmured as he lowered the napkin and Bradley promptly returned to eating. Remus couldn't think of any about dogs, aside from just one. He'd made Sirius tell it to him one night, when they'd laid awake in the dormitory long after James and Peter were asleep. He could hear Sirius's voice and see the flourishing movements he made with his arms as he told it, and he took a deep breath -- "Once, there was a dog named Snuffles. He was a shaggy dog, with the darkest black fur you've ever seen on a dog before, and it grew sort of all over the place, with great tufts here and there. He had a loooong waggy tail and a biiiiig snout that was very good for smelling things... especially cooking sausages over a fire, which was his very most favorite..."