Do You Know What Today Is?

James wandered back to Gryffindor Tower, taking his time, hoping Sirius might catch up with him if he dawdled enough. He had just reached the sixth floor landing when he saw Lily Evans coming hurrying up the corridor from the Trophy Room Passageway. He raised an eyebrow. "Oi, Evans, you're using our shortcuts now?"

She looked surprised to see him. "I thought you were in detention?"

"Minnie ended it early. She decided to do career counseling on me and Sirius while we were in there and Sirius apparently wishes to be Jim Morrison."

"Jim Morrison's dead."

"Well that puts a kink in things, doesn't it?" James laughed. He noticed then that Lily was holding something behind her back. He smirked. "What'cha got Evans?"

"Nothing."

"C'mon, let me see."

"It's nothing. Go away, you nosey git."

Grinning, James leaped forward and caught her up and she let out a shriek and kicked at him - laughing even as she did it, "Stop it! Stop, you toerag!" She struggled against him and he spun her 'round so he was basically hugging her from behind and she brought whatever it was she was holding 'round the front, holding it to her chest and curling about it, "Stop it!" She was flushed and laughing, "You can't see it."

"What is it?"

"I'm not telling you, James."

"C'mon Evans!"

"No!" Lily shoved whatever it was under the jumper she was wearing and covered the lump with her arms so he couldn't see through the knitting or guess by the shape of it. She stared up at him as she climbed a couple steps up the stairwell to get away. He was smirking playfully. "Stop it, stop looking like that," she commanded. "You're horrible. A horrible boy."

"You love me."

"I don't." She shook her head, "You're an idiot. I swear to Merlin..." she turned and started up the stairs.

"Evans," he said. "Do you know what today is?" he trotted after her.

"Saturday."

"And also?"

"27 March."

"Yes. But also?"

"Ten days after St. Patrick's."

"Yes... but no."

"The anniversary of the first ever International Rugby Match - 1871, played between England and Edinberg?"

"What? No!"

"James Callaghan, one of the Muggles who's on the ballot for Prime Minister - isn't his birthday today?"

"Evans."

"I know. There are only 272 shopping days left 'til Christmas."

"Why do you know that? Nobody just knows that. Not in March. Sure in like November, perhaps, but not in March."

"It's called math, Potter."

"Yeah but... that was fast math."

"I suppose. It's not that hard really."

"Right. How many days until 17 June?"

"82."

"September 1."