Best Birthday

Best Birthday

Nobody in the world could ever deny that the Gryffindor common room was not the site of the best parties in the castle. Even other houses would if they ever got a glimpse of the absolute chaotic glory of a Gryffindor party.

Sirius return from McGonagall's office only twenty minutes behind James to find the party in full force. He grinned when he stepped through the portrait hole to find the room filled with noise. He'd given Lily and the other two Marauders permission to move the stereo downstairs again for the occasion and the Rolling Stones were playing as Sirius stepped inside. There were brilliant golden streamers decorated with paper snitches with flapping wings all about the room and glowing letters that spelled out Happy Birthday James strung over the mantel.

Sirius stared around the room at the revelers. They had James in a corner, showering him with gifts of sweets and small odds and ends and he was currently laughing over a prank gift from Frank Longbottom - a tin of licorice wands that, when opened, turned out not to be sweets at all, but actually a spring-loaded toy hippogriff that flew out of the can and scared the hell out of James so that they all laughed at the look on his face as he gathered his wits about him. Peter was talking nervously to some of Ali's dorm mates, turning pink as one of them fixed his tie and Sirius smirked, glad to see Pete was getting some much coveted attention from the ladies. And finally he spotted Remus, sitting on the stairs leading up to the boys dormitory, a book open on his lap, watching the party from his perch, sort of bent forward and rubbing his ankles.

Sirius went over and sat down on the stairs beside him.

He had a sudden sense of deja'vu and he wondered for a moment where it had come from when he realized this was exactly the same sort of situation and place where Remus Lupin had first kissed Sirius... that unwanted first kiss, when Sirius had pushed him away.

What the hell was that, Lupin? He could almost hear the echo of his own question.

Remus looked over at Sirius. "Hey. How'd it go with Minnie? James told me she did the career counseling for you lot today. Was it horrible?"

Sirius shook his head, "It was alright."

"Did you lot narrow down some options for you?"

"Basically study like hell for the O.W.Ls." Sirius shrugged.

"What did you put on your list?"

"A load of tosh, but Minnie and I talked and I'm going to try to get the O.W.L.s I need to go into the Healer program at St. Mungo's."

Remus smiled, "I was hoping you'd say that."

Sirius leaned back and looked up at him. "You were? But --"

"You told me about that dream the same night I told you about mine of being a teacher," Remus said, "I said it then, I'll say it now - I think you'll be brilliant at it."

Sirius felt his throat tighten. Remus Lupin. Always the one to believe in him first. Always the one who'd never doubted Sirius. He slid a little closer and put his chin on Remus's knee. "Thanks, Moony, for always being there for me."

Remus stared down at his book. His cheeks felt hot, though they weren't flushing just yet. He nodded, "Yeah. Of course."

Sirius closed his eyes and drew back slowly, leaning back against the steps. He watched the party a few minutes more, wishing desperately this was two years ago and that Remus would lean 'round and kiss him again and this time he'd not pull away... this time he wouldn't waste all the time he could've spent in love with Remus Lupin.