Just Take Me There

Just Take Me There

Severus Snape stared into the wild eyes of the Dexter, gripping the small boy's wrist. His mind raced. Two were already through the Floo. What to do? He drew a deep breath. He had to act, that's what. He'd figure it out as it went. He spun the boy about so that he stood between Dexter and the hearth. "Do you know where the fountain in the center of the village is?"

Dexter nodded, terrified.

"Just past it, heading toward the castle, there's an inn on the left. Remus Lupin is there by the hearth. Go to him and tell him that the other two have gone through the Floo and not to follow. I will resolve this." Severus set his jaw. "Do you have Floo powder?"

The boy held out his hand. He had a fistful of the green powder.

Severus held out his palm and Dexter poured the powder from his palm into Severus's, his tiny little hand shaking as he released the granules. Severus's fingers closed 'round the powder. "Go. Now. Run."

Dexter nodded, and he turned and ran, his feet tripping over each other as he fell out the door.

Severus Snape turned back to face the hearth and he took a deep breath and tossed the powder into the flames, and stepped through. "Malfoy Manor," he said, and the flames carried him away and he fell through the Network, steeling himself as he went, until he'd stepped through the hearth at Malfoy Manor.

The two boys were on the floor, face down. Bellatrix Lestrange stood over them, her wand drawn, their bodies flat as though being pressed down, their heads turned to look at one another, panic in Liam's eyes and a cool fear in Wally's. When Snape stepped into the room, Bellatrix's wand swept up to aim at his chest and her bright red lips parted to cast whatever spell she'd put on the other two on him before she realized who it was. She stared at him in dismay. "Severus Snape," she said.

"Bellatrix," Severus said as calmly as he could, keeping his voice level and low, trying to sound older, more mature, trying to sound as though he belonged there.

"What are you doing here?" she breathed. She looked down at the two first years. "What are they doing here?"

Severus said the first thing that came to mind. "Our new recruits?"

"Recruits? They're children." Bellatrix cackled, "Ickle children!" She had tears in her eyes she was laughing so hard.

Severus kept his face absolutely straight. "You find the orders of the Dark Lord funny?"

Bellatrix quieted. She glared at Severus solidly.

Severus waved his wand, "Finite incantantum," he murmured and the pressing that held the two boys so hard to the floor released and they gasped for air that had been hard to come by moments before. Severus motioned for them to stand up and he grabbed onto each of them by the arm - Liam on his right and Wally on his left, and he held them so that they stood slightly behind him. He stared at Bellatrix with a challenge in his eyes. "Where is the Dark Lord?"

"In the parlor," hissed Bellatrix.

Severus nodded. "You will excuse us, Bella. We have... business... to attend to." And he stepped around her, pulling the two boys into the hallway outside the dining room they had entered through.

The moment they were in the hall and the door had closed behind them, Severus waved his wand, "Muffliato." Liam looked about, waiting to see some effect of the spell, but there didn't seem to be any... except suddenly Severus spoke freely, "What were you thinking, coming here? Pulling a stunt like this?"