Chapter 2: A Nightmarish Kidnapping

During the four months that Ash and his team were going through Alola, Serena was keeping herself busy in Hoenn. She had been learning from one of the best Pokemon Coordinators in the world, who just so happens to be her traveling companion, May. Sylveon and Pancham were the same as usual, but Braixen had evolved into Delphox. Serena also added two new members to her team, an Altaria and a Milotic. Thanks to May's guidance and watching a lot of Ash's battles in Kalos, she completely dazzled the entire Contest circuit, having won four of the five ribbons required to compete in the Grand Festival. However, this journey merely served as a stepping stone for Serena's real dreams: coming home to dethrone Aria as Kalos Queen, and Ash himself.

Ash. I wonder if he misses me as much as I miss him. she thought with a smile while she walked through Route 110 on her way to Slateport City, where she hoped to gain entry into the Grand Festival, which, ironically, takes place in the same city. Serena wore a red flower-like toque with a white Pokeball logo, a loose light yellow T-shirt with light pink and yellow flower patterns spread across it and the white color of a bra being visible under her right arm, small green shorts, red and black shoes with large yellow laces, and the blue ribbon that Ash gave her on her right wrist. She was staring fondly at her prized possession when a voice broke her peaceful silence.

"Serena, are you daydreaming about Ash again?" May asked in a teasing manner. She had long, thick, mouse brown hair, with a side fringe spread across her forehead, and blue eyes and was wearing a red and white bandanna, a scarlet tank top with a black undershirt, a black Mega Ring on her left wrist, white short shorts with black lycra mini-leggings underneath, a yellow and green fanny pack, and yellow and black ankle boots with orange soles. Serena instantly blushed at the sound of that, which caused May to laugh.

"You're an open book when it comes to your feelings for him, you know?" she asked, still snickering. When Serena first found out that May traveled with Ash through the Hoenn and Kanto regions, she got a little jealous. But then the Hoenn Princess told her she already had a boyfriend, which she was relieved about. Thinking about it now, Serena smirked.

"Oh yeah? I could say the same for you. You're an open book when it comes to your feelings for Drew too." she replied back teasingly. This made May's face go red.

"HEY!" she shouted, embarrassed. Serena cracked up hard.

"What? Just because you can tease me about Ash doesn't mean that I can't tease you about Drew?" she asked while she kept sniggering. May couldn't stay mad at Serena for long and ended up laughing with her. Once they stopped, the Top Coordinator spoke up again.

"Serena, what are you planning to do after the Grand Festival?" she asked. Serena smiled upon hearing the question.

"Well, it would be nice to see Ash again. Last time I checked, he was getting ready to graduate from Alola's Pokemon School and about to embark on his journey through the region. That was two months ago, though." she answered in a sad tone. Just after Serena finished her sentence, they heard a "ping" coming from her bag.

"That sounds like you got a message." May said. Serena nodded as she took her pink tablet out and opened it. On the screen was a closed envelope, signifying that she did indeed have a new message. Serena gasped when she saw who wrote to her.

"How is it that we were talking about Ash when he, just now, sent me this message?!" she asked gleefully. May smirked.

"Well, then, open it up. I want to see what my old friend's been up to lately." she said, eyeing the envelope. Serena nodded and pressed on it. The envelope was replaced with a letter. Serena read it out loud:

"Alola, Serena!

It's been two months since I last heard from you. How are you doing? How are your Pokemon doing? And how's May doing? Are you still taking the Contest scene by storm? Actually, I already know the answer to that question. I've been following all your Contests on PokeVision, and I have to say, I'm very proud of you. As long as you don't give up until the very end, you definitely got what it takes to bring home the Ribbon Cup, therefore becoming the Top Coordinator. I, for one, can't wait to watch the Grand Festival on TV. In fact, I can't believe I'm about to say this, but I plan on staying at a Pokemon Center for three straight days just to watch you perform. Yep, you read that right. Though, I do want to go see the Festival live. It'd be nice to see you in person again. That's definitely a possibility as well.