Chapter 29: Forgotten Pallet Memories

A year had passed since the summer camp ended. In that timespan, Ash and Serena's friendship had gotten so strong to the point that they were inseparable. Grace could see how happy he had made her daughter and decided that, after everything that had happened with Calem, as well as her sons leaving, a change of scenery was needed for the struggling Gabena family to start fresh. And so, after that week at camp had ended, they moved right next door to Yellow and Leaf's house, with Ash and Kevin being a very short walk away from them. This made Serena the happiest girl in the world, considering that she never wanted to leave her best friend. They did everything together, to the point that Gary would constantly tease them about what a cute couple they make, to their embarrassment. And, unknown to Ash, their feelings for each other had grown so much in the last twelve months. It got to the point where he was seriously considering asking Serena to accompany him on his journey when they turned ten. For them, life was absolutely perfect back then. And yet, Ash felt...dread. Dread that something bad was going to happen to Serena sooner or later.

Little did Ash know, trouble was indeed coming to Pallet Town. Trouble that threatened to separate him and Serena...forever.

It started as a normal day for the kids. After a morning of "attempted" Rhyhorn racing practice, which Ash would always come to watch with concern over Serena, she would come over to the Ketchums' household for lunch, something that Delia was always happy to do for them. Then they would either go play in the backyard, the woods, or Professor Oak's ranch before going to her house or inviting Grace over to his for dinner. On this day, the kids were playing chase in the backyard. Ash was doing the running while Serena was doing the chasing. He was wearing an open blue short sleeved jacket with a gold trim and white collar and sleeves over a dark cyan T-shirt, jeans with light blue cuffs, a brown belt, and black and white sneakers with red dots on both sides, while she was wearing a pink bow on top of her long hair, a pink short sleeved T-shirt with a Pokeball logo on the front, a blue skirt, white socks, and pink and white sneakers.

"Ha, can't catch me!" Ash exclaimed teasingly. Serena couldn't help but giggle a little bit at that in spite of the frustration she was feeling.

"Oh, you think?! You say that now, but let's see what happens when you run out of steam!" she replied with sweat falling down her face. True to Serena's word, a few minutes later, Ash was running slower than he had been. He was also sweating profusely. Serena smirked devilishly as she gained a sudden burst of speed.

"And...CHECKMATE!" she shouted gleefully as she gently wrapped her arms around Ash's waist. The force of the collision sent him crashing, back first, onto the grass with Serena falling on top of him.

"Ugh..." Ash groaned. As he opened his eyes, he was staring directly into Serena's own beautiful blue ones. And, if Ash was honest with himself, he felt...mesmerized. In fact, he was so mesmerized that he couldn't even speak properly.

What is this feeling?! And why am I getting this around Serena only? I mean, sure, she's kind, funny, caring, a hard worker, beautiful...wait, where did this word even come from?! Actually, scratch that, where did that whole thought come from?! Ash thought, feeling flabbergasted. Serena, now concerned, waved her hand in his face.

"Whoo hoo! Ash, you still there?!" she asked in a soothing tone. Ash rapidly shook his head to get himself out of his daze.

"Sorry, I was thinking about...something." he replied nervously as his cheeks became tinted with pink. Needless to say, Serena was rather intrigued.

"Well then, what are you thinking about, Ash?" she inquired curiously. Ash flinched. While he wanted to talk to Serena about his feelings, at the same time, he was utterly clueless about what those feelings actually were, and talking about it with her would be awkward, considering that they were directed towards her anyway. So, in that regard, Ash decided not to speak with her about that topic until he figured them out. Thankfully for him, though, there was another thought in his mind that he wanted to voice to Serena.