Chapter 5: A New Journey Begins

Serena was standing on a balcony overlooking the Aether Paradise with Nihilego by her side. It had been an hour since she was intoxicated by the neurotoxin from the Ultra Beast, and now she felt refreshed in an eerie way. It was as if Serena had never felt this alive before. Not during her performances or contests, not during the other times that she's spent with her Pokemon, and, strangely enough, not even during all the times that she's spent with a certain boy. A boy that Serena does not remember now. And, quite frankly, she doesn't even care about him anymore either.

Serena looked at Nihilego and smiled before saying, "Ah, Nihilego, thank you for this new feeling. It makes me want more of it."

No problem, Serena. I'm glad you want me to be your first partner for your journey through the Alola region. With you by my side, I have no doubt in my mind that we will get revenge on the guardian deities for what they did to us in the war many years ago. Nihilego spoke telepathically into the girl's mind with venom evident in her voice. She nodded silently. When Serena became Nihilego's host, she had seen memories of the war between the guardians and the Ultra Beasts through her own eyes. And it sickened her to see them suffering in the Ultra Space ever since then.

"Yes, revenge will be ours! So how do we get the guardians' attention?" Serena asked angrily while holding a fist up to her face. She then noticed that the blue ribbon was still on her wrist and frowned at it.

Why is this here? Serena thought. She then did something unimaginable. Serena took the ribbon off her wrist.

"This ribbon is worthless to me now." she growled after staring at it for a minute. Serena threw the ribbon sideways and watched as the wind carried it far, far away into the sea. 

Once the ribbon was completely gone from her view, she looked straight at Nihilego, who was startled by her sudden outburst, and said in an apologetic tone, "Sorry about that. I don't know what came over me. I'm fine now."

Oh no, it's fine. While you were doing that, I was thinking of the best way to get the guardians' attention. And I have an idea. she said with a snicker.

"Great, what is it?" Serena asked. She was quite anxious to hear Nihilego's idea for revenge. This caused the Ultra Beast to chuckle. This new side of Serena reminded her so much of herself.

I think I'm going to enjoy having you around all the time. Anyway, usually, the only way to get the guardians' attention is by completing the Island Challenge. However, now Alola is getting their very own Pokemon League, and what better way to rile them up than by becoming their first-ever Champion? Then when they're roused, that's when we'll strike them down! Nihilego said, feeling enraged at the end of the explanation. Serena could feel the rage coursing through her body. It was almost like she and Nihilego were synchronizing their feelings.

"Great idea, Nihilego! I'm up for it! Nobody is going to want to stand in our way once we become Champion! Not even the guardians!" Serena exclaimed with a determined look on her face.

Nihilego nodded before saying, Thank you, Serena. You'll do excellent in the Island Challenge. I'm quite sure of that now. Speaking of which, we should start planning for that soon, considering that the Alola League is in five months. Anyway, I talked to Lusamine before you arrived, and she said that she'd give you five other Ultra Beasts that you can keep forever. Along with me, of course.

Serena's eyes widened in surprise as she asked, "Really? That's great! And I'm not doing this Challenge alone. I've got you and five other Ultra Beasts helping me out. We're going to crush the competition together!" She then proceeded to pet Nihilego's head.

Ah, this feels so good. I have never felt this loved by anyone besides Lusamine and your father before. We Ultra Beasts are generally hated around the world. What did we do to deserve this hatred? Nothing! she shouted in frustration. Tears of sorrow and anger started welling up in Serena's eyes.