Chapter 47: One's Saving Grace

Ash's body shook tremendously while he stared at the dreadful headline, unable to believe his eyes.

"No..." he uttered with tears beginning to fall down his cheeks. Everyone was looking really worried for Ash. Though, Greninja was struggling to contain his own tears too, but to no avail. And it didn't help that Bianca was also crying. Kevin, Maria, Kong, and Hau snuck glances at the tablet...and started dripping tears of anger and sorrow as well.

"Ash? Kevin? Hau? Bianca? What happened?" Grace asked, very concerned. Ash put his tablet down and pushed himself up on his feet. He then walked over to Melody, knelt down to her level, and placed both hands on her shoulders.

"I'm so sorry, Melody. But Shamouti Island...is gone." Ash stated sadly. An uncomfortable silence crossed the cave while most of the group processed that information.

"Gone?! No...it must be a mistake...Please tell me this is some sick joke...Please?!" Melody choked out, on the verge of despair. Ash just shook his head to say he was not joking.

"I'm terribly sorry for your loss." he replied before gently wrapping Melody up into a hug. Ash felt her tears coming down his jacket and heard her and everybody else crying, and it stung. He had experienced someone's death a few times throughout his journey, but never one of this magnitude. In fact, the entire world had not seen a disaster this bad since the Orre region's destruction. Suddenly, Ash's eyes widened as he separated from Melody.

"Wait a minute. Where was Lugia when Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres were attacking?! He would have never allowed Shamouti Island to be demolished like that." he inquired seriously. The group let out a horrified gasp.

"Shit, you're right. Mew, can you go check to see if he is still there?" Calem asked in an anxious tone.

Just as Mew was about to respond, a feminine voice spoke telepathically into their minds, 'That won't be necessary. You won't find anything there.' The group swiftly turned around and gasped in total surprise at the Pokemon they saw. She was a slim, quadruped, blue, mammalian Pokemon with white, diamond-shaped markings. Her face and underside were white as well. She had a thick, purple mane that resembled the aurora borealis and two white, streamer-like tails that waved forward. She had a long, white snout. She had a large, hexagonal, cerulean blue crest on her forehead that resembled the antlers of a Qilin with two prongs on either side of the base. She had red eyes, a small tuft of fur under her chin, and small paws with white paw pads.

"SUICUNE?!" the group exclaimed. Suicune was standing in front of them, holding three feathers that were glowing in the colors of a rainbow inside her mouth. She glanced towards Ash, Kevin, and Calem with a sad smile.

'Hello, Ash, Kevin, Calem. It's been a while. Though, I do wish it was under much better circumstances.' Suicune said majestically, bowing to the trio. She then frowned upon seeing Latias and Gary's unconscious bodies.

'Oh dear. I see Mew exhausted her healing powers again. Here, let me help them.' Suicune added, walking up to them. She placed two paws on Gary and Latias's bodies and focused her energy on them. A bright green light surrounded the trio. Once it disappeared, Gary and Latias were as good as new. They opened their eyes slowly. Gary then yelped when he saw Suicune on top of him.

"ACK! WHAT'S A SUICUNE DOING ON TOP OF ME?!" he yelled out. Suicune instantly used her paw to cover Gary's mouth.

'Quiet, mortal. I don't want my presence announced to the entire Kanto region.' she hissed venomously. Gary gulped while nodding his head furiously. As Suicune got off him and Latias, he narrowed his eyes.

"Wait, did you say Kanto?! What the hell happened while I was out?!" Gary questioned the group curiously. Latias sighed as she levitated slightly above the ground.