Chapter 26: A Shocking Turnaround

At a lab in Pallet Town, a group of three little boys were standing around a Poliwag. One boy had raven black hair and chocolate brown eyes and was wearing a yellow sleeveless shirt with a red stripe, blue shorts, and light red shoes. The boy next to him had the same black hair, just shorter, and the same brown eyes and was wearing a blue sleeveless shirt with a white stripe, blue and white cargo shorts, and blue and black shoes. The last boy had spiky mahogany hair and viridian eyes and was wearing a black sleeveless shirt, purple shorts, and black shoes.

"Hey Ashy Boy, Kev-Dog, just think, in two years, we'd all become Pokemon trainers. I actually wouldn't mind a Poliwrath on my team." Gary stated with a smirk. The brothers smirked back at him.

"I'm pretty sure a Pikachu can beat a Poliwrath...not that I'm trying to disrespect this little girl's evolutionary line or anything." Ash replied as he patted Poliwag on the head. She cooed in affection. Kevin laughed while Gary pouted.

"Nice one, bro! I think I'd like a Pikachu on my team as well. Not to mention a Garchomp and maybe an Infernape." he replied as he gave his brother a fist bump. Ash smiled a little bit before frowning.

"Say, Kevin, this talking about Pikachus is reminding me of Dad. And I think we promised Mom not to have any thoughts of him during camp." he said sadly. Kevin looked a little disheartened at the sound of that.

"Sorry, Ash. I almost forgot that you're still depressed over his departure." he admitted grimly. Ash wasn't paying attention, as he had gotten himself distracted. Confused, Kevin turned around and smirked mischievously at who he saw: a little girl with long honey blonde hair and sapphire blue eyes who was wearing a straw hat with a pink ribbon around it, a pink sun dress, and pink shoes. She was looking down at the grass, clearly not wanting to be there.

Kevin playfully elbowed Ash while saying, "She's cute, isn't she?"

"Very." he replied in a dreamy way, not even realizing what he just said. Gary, who had finished sulking, smiled mischievously as well.

"Ooh, Ashy Boy has a crush, doesn't he?" he asked in a teasing manner as he also playfully elbowed Ash. His face turned as red as a tomato.

"Hey now, how can I have a crush on someone I just saw for the first time?" Ash asked in a hushed tone. Kevin and Gary's smirks grew as they looked at each other.

"Love at first sight?" he whispered into Kevin's ear. He instantly nodded in agreement, which made Ash confused.

Before he could ask them anything, the trio and Poliwag all heard a familiar female voice call out excitedly, "KEVIN!" Kevin beamed at the sound of that voice as he turned to face a little girl running up to him. She had long brown hair and eyes of the same color and was wearing a straw hat with a black ribbon around it, a black sun dress, and black shoes.

"LEAF!" Kevin shouted back. Ash, Gary, and Poliwag all moved out of the way as Leaf tackled him into a hug. Kevin almost fell over, but managed to keep his balance as he happily returned it. They enjoyed the moment for as long as they could, until a rude voice interrupted them.

"So, I take it that you want some alone time, Kevin, Leaf? You two have fun camping out together, lovebirds!" Gary shouted mischievously as he dragged a dense Ash and Poliwag away from the scene. Kevin and Leaf blushed profusely at that as they quickly separated from the hug.

"Hey, get back here, Oak Tree!" they both shouted in embarrassment. Gary was well out of earshot, but still laughing out loud at them, by that point as he released Ash and Poliwag, who were both struggling to get free, in a forest.

"Hey, what's the big deal, Gary?!" he asked, feeling irritated. Poliwag looked like she wanted to Double Slap that smirk off Gary's face.

He simply shrugged before saying, "Eh, you'll see sooner or later. Anyway, I should go talk to Gramps. Smell ya later, Ashy Boy!" Before Ash could retaliate, Gary ran back in the direction of the lab, leaving him and Poliwag behind.