9 - Birthday Note

✧Previously on Chapter Eight✧

CHAPTER WARNINGS:
- Violence
- Mentions of blood
- Biting and clawing
- Graphic descriptions of fighting
- CHARACTER DEATHS

There was a soft pillow of snow that was blanketing across Colchester, covering the whole town in a white eclipse. The air out was crisp, nipping hard at Harry's nose and leaving a pink blush along his pale skin. The winds were angry that day as they slapped against Harry's body and chilled his bones to ice. He could feel the goosebumps rising on his skin every time a chill breeze blew past him, and it left him shivering in his jacket as he tried to cover his body with more clothes.

It didn't help that Harry decided to walk into town today knowing how cold it was, but walking had seemed like a better idea than driving considering the roads were iced over. He probably should have taken a hot chocolate on the go, but he didn't think about that until he was already half way to the shops with his frozen fingers and frost bitten toes. Harry was usually smarter than this, but when the cold took over, Harry often forgot his common sense for being warm. Oh well, he was managing - barely, but he was able to go to the shops and slowly start to make his way back home just fine.

Harry was just a couple streets down from his house when he suddenly noticed a little boy standing by himself. Normally Harry wouldn't think to bother or impose on other people, but whenever he looked around to see if there were other people nearby, he realized there was none. Something didn't settle right with Harry knowing that this little child was all by himself, and it didn't really help that he was teetering on the edge of the woods. Harry knew enough about werewolves to know that they had no mercy when it came to any human walking into the woods, so the last thing Harry wanted was for this child to accidentally step across that line that divided the wolves from the humans.

Harry took in a breath and looked around one last time to make sure the boy's parent's weren't anywhere before he made the decision to finally approach him. Harry frowned as he watched the little boy run back and forth towards the woods, acting as if he was about to walk past the trees. It made Harry's stomach churn with an uneasy feeling, so he quickly picked up the pace so he could stop the kid from. Right when Harry is within reaching distance, he pulls the child back before he takes off running again.

"Who are you?" the boy asked, frowning up at Harry with his big doe eyes.

"Where are you parents?" Harry questioned instead, refraining from giving the child an answer. He looked to about five or six years old, and Harry didn't like that a child his age was just left alone so carelessly by the woods. They were even a couple streets away from the center of town, so this kid had to have wondered away from his parents.

"They're busy," he mumbled under his breath, eyes casting down to look at Harry's necklace. The child's eyes then widen in wonder as he stepped closer to Harry, carefully reaching up to point to the piece of jewelry around his neck. "That's a pretty necklace."

Harry blushed at the compliment and picked the crescent moon charm up, twirling it in his fingers. "Thank you. Someone important gave it to me."

"Can I see it?" The little boy stepped even closer to where his and Harry's shoes were touching. Harry smiled down at him and crouched to get on his level, holding the pendant over for the little boy to see. The little boy's lips curved up into a smile and he reached to grab the moon from Harry's hands, tilting it closer to his face as if he was really surveying the gem.