A Hunter's Burial.

The three men moved like zombies. Dean kept catching glances at my still body. His heart broke every time. Bobby and Sam were outside building a funeral pyre. It was a hunter's way to go. Dean found some white sheets. He placed them out on the ground. The tears returning to his eyes. A sudden hand placed upon his shoulder. He looked back to see Cas standing behind him.

"Why didn't you do something?" Dean asked.

"It would undo everything she was doing. The cost of casting that spell is a soul. She would have had to take someone's. She happened to choose her own," he explained.

"Why would she do that?"

"Her thoughts suggested she was tired. Of being hunted and wanted to go on her own terms. If it's any consolation she has moved on and is with her family."

"Where?"

"She's in heaven."

Dean heaved a sigh of relief. For a moment he worried that Cas meant the family she had in hell. That meant she got to see her father and brother again. She was probably happier there.

"Do you need help with that, Dean?" Cas inquired.

"No, it's just hard to accept she's really gone. That I won't see her again."

"When it is your time you will."

"Really, Cas? There is no way I'm heading upstairs. When it comes down to it. I know where I'm going when I die."

"You don't really feel that way, do you?"

"She deserved it. After all the plots and things to try to get her to go dark side, she never did. She gave everything to protect people she loved," Dean grabbed my hand tightly. It was ice cold and hard to ever remember when her body held warmth inside it, "it just hurts, Cas, a lot. I've lost a lot of people. But this may be the worst."

Cas tilted his head his body was gone with the distinct flapping of wings. Dean picked my body off of the couch. He lay it carefully on top of the sheets as he started to wrap my body in them. Before wrapping my head he leaned down and kissed my forehead. A few stray tears rolled from his face onto my skin.

"I'm sorry, ____, I should have done something for you. But I hope you are happy up there. You deserve a break more than anyone I know. I'm never going to love someone like I loved you."

He finished wrapping my body as Bobby came inside. He looked at Dean hunched over the figure now wrapped in white. Bobby knelt down beside Dean.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

"No, not at all," Dean answered.

"We have to give her a proper funeral. She deserves it."

"I know that. Why didn't she use someone else's soul? Or ask me if-"

"She probably knew you'd put up a fight. Don't be so thick headed. If she didn't do what Crowley wanted there was no way all of you were getting out of there. She sacrificed herself for you, and Sam. Hell, even Cas."

"It is just hard Bobby."

"She was like family to me. I know it hurts. This isn't the first time we've lost someone. We'll get through this. It's time."

Dean nodded solemnly. Of course every hunter had seen death. Friends, strangers, loved ones. Whether you were a hunter or not people died. But it was never easy. Especially when someone died young. Dean scooped my body into his arms as he walked outside. Bobby opened the door to go outside. Dean's arms shook the closer they got to the pyre. Sam stood by the structure. He helped Dean lift my body onto it. They stepped back.