1. New Girl

Hello, world! Or small portion of the internet! My name is Blake Penelope August  or just Blake. Or whatever you call me, I really don’t care. Anyway, it’s been at least four weeks since my dad and I moved to Bay City, Texas. So I decided I might as well start a blog to document my time here.

The main purpose of our move was to help expand our family business: August Family Diner. I worked as a waitress back home in Forest Square, Michigan. That town was like one big hungry family. Almost the whole town would show up to eat our food. We were busy every other day and we’d get up at the crack of dawn, 7’clock sharp, to set up the tables, get the napkins and condiments ready and make morning coffee. It just warmed my heart to see the smiles of new customers come into our store. Just last Tuesday, this old couple, Mary-Sue and Jonathan had suddenly stumbled into our diner looking for a new place to eat. The old couple and my dad and I got really acquainted. We made them feel at home and they even promised to come back again every week for more of our food!

Isn’t that exciting? My mama would have thought so. But, to my dad, they’re just customers. He’s really been down in the dumps lately since my mother’s passing a few months back. She had pancreatic cancer and died of complications. I can say she passed away in peace with us right by her side. My mother’s dream was to open a diner and expand it cross-country. Maybe one day, we can make it national. Ooh,  Mama would have loved that. I wish my dad could see the bright side to this, but not even food will cheer him up.

But I’m going to have to live with it, I guess. I’m sure that tomorrow will be better. Maybe he’ll remember what this is really about: family. And food. But mostly family. Oh, wait. I think…I think my dad’s telling me it’s time to open. Alright, guys. Thanks for listening to my tale! Hopefully, I be back tomorrow with another recap for you at the crack of dawn. Kiss kiss.

XOXO

Blake Penelope ♥