3. A New Friend?

Hey guys, just a quick update on my relationship...I mean friendship...with Alexander. Just when my dates...I mean hangouts...with Alex couldn't any better, they started getting more and more exciting. Every morning, I would wake up and feel so happy to meet Alex on the steps of the school that I didn't even do my morning routine for the restaurant.  Just an hour ago, Alex had texted me to meet him at the lake that's across from my house. I didn't even really read the text as my excitement blinded me, so I skimmed it.

I rushed downstairs and ran out the door. I didn't even hear my dad calling after me to let me know I sped out the house with my sweats on and that I left without shoes. It took me about a good five minutes to realize I was barefoot in the middle of the street and that I looked like I just finished a marathon with sweat stains in all the wrong places.

I went back upstairs and changed into my favorite strapless high-low sundress that's bright yellow and I threw a gray cardigan over that. I threw on some sandals and finally headed out the door, making sure I had my hair in a bun and my glasses on my face. I hurried out the door and skipped along the sidewalk to see Alex.

I make my way across the street and notice Alex leaning up against a tree, looking out towards the water. He was wearing a gray v-neck shirt with the sleeves rolled up and had skinny jeans and black Converse on. Man, can he get any cooler? His hair was slicked back like always. See? It's things like this that really get me sometimes. I've hung out with Alex for so long that I notice his little perks.

I arrive at the lake and Alex's expression went from solemn to ecstatic.

"Blake August. How joyful I am to meet your acquaintance. M'lady." Alex reaches out and kisses my left hand. I was blushing so much that I swear I was going to explode.

"Quite a gentleman, kind sir. Lovely is your Shakespearean language also. Has this nice sire been practicing?" I ask, playing along with him.

"Yes, quite." Alex takes a bow. I giggle and slap his arm.

We begin to walk around the lake and we watch the ducks swim across the water. The water ripples as the wind blew ever so gently through our hair.

"Alexander, you have been full of surprises this week. The bike ride in the square, the drive to the movies, and now the walk by the lake. If I didn't know any better, I would think you were trying to date me." I say, giggling.

"No, no. That's just how I welcome people to Bay City." Alex says, skipping a rock.

"So you take them on ideal dates to 'welcome them'?" I ask, making air quotes with my hands as we make our second lap around the lake.

"Yeah, so? Is that weird?" Alex asks, smirking.

"Very," I reply.

"I figured. So, have you met anyone else in Bay City? You know, besides me?" Alex asks as he begins to sit on the grass. He pats a spot next to him for me to sit down.

I sit next to him.

"No, just you. But I'm okay with that. Having one friend is just as good as having a bunch. Hey, you have both and that's amazing." I reply, patting his back.

He laughs as he looks out towards the lake. I never really noticed how nice his eyes looked in the sunlight. They sparkled more than usual. Normally, his eyes are a nice shade of hypnotizing brown, but they shone a little differently today. They were much brighter and they were sucking me in again.

"Hey, Blake?" Alex suddenly asks, pulling me out of my trance.

"Huh? I mean, yes Alex?" I say quickly.

"Football practice is in a couple minutes. You wanna walk there?" Alex asks as he gets up and dusts himself off. I join him and nod my head.

So, we make our way to school and everyone was flashing dirty looks and weird expressions. I didn't really see what the problem was, honestly. Two people are in an unlikely relationship, nothing out of the ordinary.