24: Improvements and Moving On

**A Few Weeks Later**

"Okay, now can you say your name?" Keona asks again. 

"M-my n-n-name i-i-is B-Bl-Blake A-Au-August." She stutters, trying to get the words out. 

"That's good, good job! You're improving, which is a good sign. I'll notify the doctors on your progress. I'll let you two have some time alone." Keona says before leaving us alone for a bit. 

"So, it seems you're doing a lot better with your speech, according to Keke. Just a few more classes and you should be good to go, huh?" I ask, brushing a hair out of her face. 

"Y-yeah a-and w-w-with a-any l-l-luck, I'll b-b-be back to m-m-my normal s-s-self." She fumbles again but with a smile. 

I missed that. That smile of hers brightened my day almost every time I saw it. When I was in that coma, all I could think about was her. I heard what she said while I was away and it was burned into my brain. 

"A-Al-Alex?" Blake asks me, snapping me out of my trance. 

"Huh? Uh, yeah, Blake?" I say, refocusing my eye contact on her. 

"D-D-D-Do you think I-I-I'll b-b-be t-t-th-the s-s-same again?" Blake asks with pitiful eyes. 

I couldn't lie to her. She's my friend and the LAST thing I want to see is her getting hurt. Physically and figuratively. 

"To tell you the truth, I don't know. But I want to say that it can only get better from here." I grab her hand and hold it in mine as she looks into my eyes and flashes that gorgeous smile. 

I want to back off and give them space, but I can't help how I really feel. I'm in love with Blake and I think she knows it, too. 

It had been since I woke up that she has been on my mind. A few weeks when I stormed out of her room was because I couldn't bear to see her like that. Eventually, William and Frankie told me what happened and told me that Nate was behind it all, but he got arrested. I'm glad that creep is behind bars, but he messed up the one person I care about. She has speech problems due to the surgeries she had to get because of the brain damage she suffered. Like, what the hell, Nate?

"Blake?" I ask her. 

"Y-y-yes Alex?" She responds with those big brown eyes. 

"Do you remember anything about the attack? Like who did it and why it happened?" I ask.

"Yes, I-I-I do, but...I'd r-r-r-rather n-n-not talk a-a-ab-about it." She responds. "I-It's like I can r-re-rem-remember every s-s-single t-thin-thing in v-v-vi-vivid d-d-de-detail." 

"Oh, sorry that I asked. I didn't know it was that brutal." I say hanging my head down in shame. 

"B-B-But that's o-o-okay b-be-be-because N-N-Nate is b-be-be-behind bars and I'm safe h-h-h-here," Blake says, rubbing my hands with her thumbs. 

"I'm glad he's in jail. He's hurt so many people that we care about and for him to go after the one person who hasn't done anything to him is just downright foul. And then to make sure he stayed on that high and mighty pedestal he was on, he needed to prove that by nearly beating you to death. So cruel." I said clenching my teeth. 

"A-A-Alex, I s-s-saw her w-wh-while I w-w-was the-there. M-M-My m-m-mom." Blake says out of the blue. 

"Where were you to see her? Isn't your mom...dead?" I ask, moving closer to her. 

"She is, but I w-w-was w-w-with her for the first time in f-f-four months since sh-sh-she passed away," Blake explains. "In heaven, I m-m-mean,"

"Really? You saw her? But, that's not good. That means that Nate..." My sentence trails off to come to the most horrible realization.