21. There's Gonna Be A Much Bigger Problem Now

Now, I haven't told the guys about me forfeiting the game just yet. And, before you ask, no it is not because I'm a chicken. It's because I don't know how they will take the news. Though I had a chance to clear my head, that still didn't change my decision. I am more level-headed now and I have made the decision in a calm and civilized manner. 

I am going to tell the boys about forfeiting the game. This is in Alex's regard, so I was hoping to make it right. I felt like this was the right thing to do. So, in a few hours after school, I will gather all the boys up for practice like the usual routine and I will tell them the truth. 

**A Few Hours Later**

Okay, it's time for practice. I had the boys meet me on the field, but I told them to skip on getting their uniforms on. I gathered them around me in a circle and had them sit with me on the grass. 

"Okay, boys. Now, I know you've heard about the recent accident Alex and I were involved in. And unfortunately, Alex got the short end of the stick because of it. Now, I know that sounds bad, but we are keeping him in our prayers and in our hearts. So, due to this recent tragedy, I have made a shocking revelation. Boys, it is with a heavy heart and a sore mind to tell you that I have made the direct order to have the school and the State Championship officially remove us from the playing roster." I explain. 

"What, so what are you saying?" Ethan asks from the back of the group. 

"We're forfeiting the game," I say solemnly. 

Almost instantly, roars of aggression, sadness, and overall fury rushed through the air.  Except for Will, who just stared at me with pity. The boys were extremely pissed at me for this and their responses were heartbreaking. 

"Really, Coach?!?" I heard Jonah yell. 

"You can't be serious with this!" Elliot screams at me. 

"¡Tienes que estar bromeando! ¡Está mal!" I had David yell at me in Spanish. 

I felt like bursting. My chest felt tight and I was breathing erratically. I didn't like the negative response going around and it was getting to me. So, it was my job to shut it down. 

"ALRIGHT, DOUCHEBAGS!" I blow my whistle loud and hard and that shuts them up real fast. "LOOK! I HAVE MADE MY DECISION FINAL, OKAY?!? IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT, YOU CAN FIND ANOTHER TEAM TO PLAY ON BECAUSE I'M NOT DEALING THIS BULLCRAP! NOW SIT DOWN!" I finally take a deep breath and calm down. 

The boys all sit down on the grass silently. Not a word was spoken. I just stared at them with pure annoyance and then I took another deep breath. 

"I'm sorry for snapping like that, I usually don't yell. I just hate when I have to. Don't make me do that again." I apologize.

Henry slowly raises his hand, as if he was afraid to speak. 

"Yes, Henry, honey? Don't be scared, I'm calm now." I say, removing the whistle from around my neck and placing on the metal bench next to me. 

"What's gonna happen to us?" Henry asks softly. 

The rest of the boys also jump in, agreeing with Henry's question. 

"Guys, I promise we'll figure something out. But, until then, this is what's happening. It was in our best interest to just forfeit. I know that it doesn't seem fair since we put in so much work to make it this far, but that's over now." I say. 

"So, what's the point?" Jonah asks as he begins to stand up. 

"What do you mean?" I ask, standing up along with him.