19. Missing Out

*Big shout out to all the fans who commented their ideas and HUGE shout out to Johannamarie_Reyes for getting it started!*

"Hey there, big guy? How are you holding up?" I ask him. "I brought donuts! Granted, you can't eat them, but it's the thought that counts, right?" I set my purse down on the chair next to the bed and take a seat next to Alex. I adjust my apron and fix my messy ponytail. I had just got off from working another Weekend Rush and I had asked my dad to give me a ride to the hospital to see Alex. 

Eyes still closed. No response. He's missing out on everything. It's been eight days since the accident. The good news is that the doctors said that Alex's health is improving.

He just went through a surgery yesterday to fix his skull fracture. Thank god, it was a success. Now, when he wakes up,  he'll have a badass scar on his forehead. But him not waking up is a problem for not only me but the team as a whole. Yes, he is recovering beautifully, but the doctors say the possibility of Alex waking up is still undetermined.

"So, how was your day?" I ask Alex, as I reach for a glazed donut from my doggy bag. I take a bite and continue my one-sided conversation. 

"Mine was okay. I worked a double last night at the diner, so I'm still a little groggy. Oh, and the team stopped by as well. They all miss you. Plus Ethan got a new girlfriend and he has been drooling non-stop about her. He worships her like a queen. Her name is Hanna Reyes or something. She just moved down here not too long ago to see him. She is super nice and she just so happens to be good friends with Will, actually. She said her and Will used to talk to each other back before he started going to Bay City High. I really wish you could see his face when Ethan mentioned he was dating her. He looked hella jealous. Did you know she is really good at making charm bracelets? She made one for me that's all cute and has different charms and stuff on it." I wiggle my wrist towards Alex so the sound of the charms makes a jangling noise.

"Oh, I wish you could see the team, Alex. They miss you SO much and they haven't been the same since I told them about the accident. And, it was Will who was the most emotional out of everyone. The poor baby." I fake a pout and bat my lashes. 

"Hey, have you decided whether or not you want to...I don't know, maybe wake up yet? Because this is emotionally draining and I'm sure you aren't having a blast right now either." I finish my donut and wipe myself clean. 

"So, just do me a favor. When you come back, tell me what you saw. I want to know SO bad. I just want to know if we were with you the whole time. Including me. Especially me, because you were with us, this whole time." I grab Alex's left hand and gently hold it in mine. I kiss the back of his palm and rub his mocha skin with the tip of my thumb. I finally decided it was time to let him rest, so I gently set his hand back down and fixed his sheets, so he wouldn't get cold. 

"See you after school, Alex. I'll be back before you know it, so don't worry," I say, grabbing my belongings. Before I left, I set the remaining bag of donuts on the bedside table and kissed Alex on the forehead, right where the scar was. 

Something happened after that. Something weird, yet unexpected. I thought it was my mind playing tricks on me, but I could've sworn I saw a tiny smile on Alex's face. I didn't know whether to freak out and tell a doctor or keep this little instance to myself. I just thought it could have been a reflex or a muscle spasm, so I decided to keep it to myself. I finally let Alex rest and I left the hospital. 

And, coincidentally, my dad was right on cue. He was waiting right outside the entrance to pick me up. So, we rode home together and I didn't say a word. I just looked out the rear-view mirror on the passenger side and stared back at the hospital as it got smaller and smaller the further we went. During that experience, I had a shocking, yet terrible realization. 

If Alex doesn't wake up before the beginning of next week, there is a risk of the team having to forfeit the game, costing us the State Championship title. And on top of that, we'd be letting you know who and his team win. But, I know this was a sign. Alex laying here, relying on a respirator to fill his lungs was a sign that I can't protect my team all the time. But they always stick their necks out for me and get hurt in the process.

Alex being in this coma is showing me that I have to return the favor. Even though it is killing me inside, I have no other options. I have no other choice but to forfeit the game next week. We can't play without Alex and with the state that he is in, he is in no condition to even set foot on the field right now even if he did wake up and recover. Believe me, I know this sounds so erratic and out of haste, but like I said, I don't really have a choice. There is no one who is willing to play for Alex since he has the most prominent position and even if we could find someone who could play for him, it would be too late. 

What a horrible turn of events. All the hard work is over and done with now. We can't move on like this. Just like Alex, we will be missing out...