25. Rekindling a New Flame

*Author's Note: Up at the top, if you want, that is the song that Alex sang to Blake in the park. So if you want to listen to it too, go ahead!*

It had taken several sessions of therapy and some quiet time alone to finally clear my head of the demons and Will. It's been four months since him and I broke up. He still hasn't spoken to me since then and he avoids all eye contact with me at school. You know, I've never been "ghosted" before but now that I have, it stings just a bit.

Just to take my mind off of Will, I had to take long walks in the park. But it's hard to avoid someone who jogs there after school.  So to evade Will whenever he works out, I walk on the opposite side of the park. Besides, the constant running for my life on the other side of the park to not see my ex-boyfriend helps with my nerve damage. I recently finished the last rehab session I needed to help with my hobble. I no longer have to wear leg braces, which I am SO happy about, but I do have to walk with a cane. I feel a lot better than I have in a few weeks with those "robot" things on my legs. 

Anyway, my dad had given time to recover and I was able to finish my school work online, so there's no penalty for that either and as for my position as football coach, Mr. Ruskin has taken the glorious opportunity to fill in for me while I recover. I can't tell if he's trying to steal my job or not. He seemed really excited when he found out he was going to filling in for me. Okay, before I get any more off topic, I want some peace and quiet, so guess where I'm going?

That's right, the park! But, thank god it's the weekend because that means Will isn't jogging today. Okay, so I just threw on some jeans, a white tee, and my flats. I tied my hair up in a ponytail, put on my glasses and waddled outside, cane in hand. So my plan was to walk on the south trail of the park because that trail has the most shade from the sun and it has plenty of benches for me to sit and just enjoy the sounds of nature. This trail is much better compared to the south trail because that's mostly for bikers, joggers, and speed-walkers. 

Anyway, so the north trail is where I walked to. As I walked, I felt much lighter as if I was walking air. I felt a little more at peace with myself since the weight of the breakup was bringing me down. I made my way down the trail to hear a familiar voice ringing in my ears, but it was a soft ring; almost calming. That voice was talking in a pattern in a way that sounded like they were talking amongst themselves. 

I slowly walked towards the voice to see a familiar friend of mine sitting on a park bench underneath this oak tree. It was Alex and he was writing something and he had his acoustic guitar with him. He seemed like he was writing a song and I didn't want to disturb as it was a lovely day and it was peaceful. But my curiosity got the best of me and my nosey ass walked over to him. 

I slowly approach him while he was in the middle of strumming some chords and I say hello. 

"Hi, stranger," I say, waving while trying to keep my balance. 

"Oh, Blake! Hey! What's going on? What's up?" Alex asks as he puts his guitar down to get up and give me a hug. 

"You know, I've just been in the neighborhood. Walking and talking." I say releasing the hug. 

"Oh, so how's that working out for you?" Alex asks as he assists me on the bench and then sits next to me. 

"Well, it's forcing me to engage in human interaction, so there's that." I joke. 

Alex chuckles and pats my leg. I gaze at his hand as it had rested there for quite some time. 

"So, I texted you the other night. You didn't reply. What's that about?" Alex asks, rubbing the back of his neck. 

"Oh, my phone was off. My battery died, so I didn't get a chance to see it." I lie. 

"Oh, then I forgive you. Besides, it probably died because you were too busy talking for hours on end with Will, I bet." Alex says finally removing his hand from my leg.