23: An Explanation

Hey, guys. This feels weird speaking to you all. I normally don't talk on the internet unless I have to complain about something. Anyway, I just wanted to give you guys an update. Oh, I almost forgot to introduce myself. 

My name is Charlotte Liliana Abernathy, but my best friend calls me Charlie. Now, about that friend of mine, she isn't doing so good. Normally I don't open my heart out like this, but I have to tell the truth. Blake Penelope August, my best friend and the best damn coach this side of Texas was involved in an altercation recently which left her in a...sorry, excuse me. I'm gonna get my salty tears all over her keyboard. 

Sorry, she recently was involved in an altercation with a guy named Nate from a school we know of and the incident left some pretty shocking damage. Blake had an argument with Nate and in retaliation, he had severely beaten her. He beat her to the point where when her boyfriend and I found her, she was not moving or breathing, at all. Thank God, her boyfriend sprung into action and was trying his hardest to revive her, but he was stopped by the paramedics, who Mr. Ruskin, our teacher, had called when we saw that Blake wasn't breathing. Don't worry, the paramedics were able to revive Blake and take her to the hospital. The doctors and nurses were able to get Blake into a stable condition long enough to treat her wounds, but for the most part, she was still pretty banged up. 

Her injuries were more severe than expected. The doctors said that she had sustained some spinal and head injuries, but none that were life-threatening or life-changing. Though, the damage that was done to her head and neck did cause some complications. Blake had received blunt force trauma to parts of her face, head, and neck as well as some internal and external bruising. She had bruises all over her stomach and she even had some on her kidneys and lungs. Blake also suffered a broken nose and a minor skull fracture where pieces of her skull were embedded in her brain. She was put in the ICU and went through several surgeries, where the doctors were able to quickly and successfully remove the fractured pieces. Though the surgeries were a success, Blake will still be out of whack when she wakes up. What I mean by that is, if there is a way to dumb it down for you guys so you can understand, she will have temporarily lost common cognitive functions. 

Blake won't be able to talk, walk or even move with going through some therapy first. So, the moment she wakes up, she won't remember how to talk, walk or even move properly without some kind of assistance. Now I know that whole explanation was a mouthful, but it's the whole truth. There were some big technical words and medical terms thrown around that night, but the doctors promised to give us full updates on Blake's condition as well as inviting close friends and family members to visit her every day. Since I'm already here, I took it upon myself to continue this little blog thing Blake had going on. Her dad was nice enough to let me write on Blake's laptop. 

He was also generous enough to let me work at the diner while Blake was recovering, which is great for me because I didn't have any work experience until I stepped into that place. Blake's dad is a kind soul once you get to know him, but I could tell he was broken inside when he went to see Blake. He was crying non-stop for hours in the waiting room while Will and I comforted him. I have to admit that we were all pretty shaken, but we told ourselves we needed to be strong, especially after hearing what Blake will go through when she wakes up. 

I mean, I'm her best friend and I can't help but feel like this is my fault. Now, Mr. August told me not to blame myself because it isn't my fault, but I just feel like I could have done more to protect her from Nate. Nate was a complete douche to me back when we were a thing. Now I haven't told this to anyone, not even Blake, but it has to be said for clarification. Nate and I used to date back when I lived in Dallas. We were 'high school sweethearts' if you will. Everyone was jealous of us and plus guys wanted to be with me because I had good looks and good grades. Not that those faded away! Anyway, Nate would always have my back, but when a certain guy tried to hook up with me to my reluctance, Nate took it as a sign. He thought I was cheating and immediately tried to get me back. I tried to explain to him that it wasn't what it looked like, but he didn't believe me.