28. Broken Bond

There I was. Sitting in a cold, empty cell at midnight in a pretty dress with my boyfriend and my best friend. This has been one hell of a night. The commotion of how busy the police station was was drowning out our sobs. It had been a solid hour since our arrest and I was getting anxious. The feeling of anxiousness was mainly because I have a very stern and large father who doesn't take bad behavior well, nor will he take his 17-year-old daughter being in jail either. 

"Guys, this is all my fault. I can't believe I did this. To you. To Alex. To us. I'm so sorry," Charlie apologizes through her tears.

"Charlie, it's okay. I get it. I know how you were feeling and I understand." I say, trying to comfort her. 

"I don't know what came over me. I-I mean, I've never been that angry before. But, now I know I can get that angry." Charlie stares at her blood-stained hands. 

"Why? What was your motive?" Alex suddenly questions. 

"I don't know. With all the bad things that have happened in my life, I felt that I needed to expel it somehow. And Nate showing up to the dance didn't help the situation," Charlie explains, wiping her eyes. 

Alex and I could only nod and sigh at Charlie's response as we sat in the holding cell. Soon, I could hear the sounds of footsteps and jangling keys coming in our direction. Who we saw made our eyes light up, as it was my dad, Will, Jonah, and weirdly enough Carter, the guy from Nate's team, along with the county sheriff. 

"Baby girl! Oh, Blake, baby!" My dad yells from between the bars. 

"Daddy, daddy, I can explain!" I cry. 

"There's no need. You're very lucky your father and your friends came to bail you out, otherwise, you would've been in some big trouble." Says the sheriff as he unlocks the holding cell. 

We all get up from our positions and make our way from the cell to open arms. My dad and I embraced each other so tight that we felt like we were suffocating each other. We let go and my dad kisses me on my forehead and resumed to hug me. Jonah and Will were hugging Alex and Charlie as we stood in the middle of the police station. 

"Don't get too excited. We still need to ask a few questions." The sheriff begins as he scratches his head. 

Alex, Charlie, and I nod in response, though we looked on in confusion as we didn't know what he was talking about. 

"What do you need to know? I thought we were free to go," Charlie says. 

"Well, Ms. Abernathy, as we've seen in the past, this is a case that can't go unanswered. Now, be grateful because lucky for you, Carter here was the one who reported the incident, but decided not to press charges, on Nathan's behalf." The sheriff explains.

We all turn to Carter, who shyly smiles in our direction. 

"You did that for us? Wow, I don't know what to say," I say, shocked. 

"Yeah, you really saved our butts," Alex says. 

"It was nothing. I already figured we've done enough damage on our part and seeing that you single-handedly saved my friend's life, that was something I couldn't punish. So, thanks for that, Blake." Carter says. 

"You're welcome, Carter. And thank you. Really." I say, patting him on the shoulder. 

A couple seconds later, another police officer comes up to the sheriff and whispers to him. As the near-silent conversation went on, the sheriff made eye-contact with Charlie who looked on in confusion. The conversation had ended and the sheriff gave Charlie a stern look. He soon took out his handcuffs and forcefully grabbed Charlie.