11. Hospital Stay

My heart was racing as Frankie, Charlie and I pulled into the hospital parking lot. Will and Alex were already ahead of us and were directed to the fifth floor. Frankie, Charlie and I raced to the service desk, scrambling frantically trying to ask for help.

"Excuse me, do you know what room William Singe is in? Please, he had a seizure and we need to him." I plea to the nurse at the front desk.

"And are you family members of Mr. Singe?" The nurse asks.

"No, but we are friends of his. Please." Frankie pleads to the woman.

She could see the sorrow in our eyes and she finally gives in. She began typing on her computer, clicking the mouse a few seconds at a time.

"He is in Room 702 on the fifth floor. Just take the elevator and he will be down the main hallway." The nurse instructs us.

"Thank you. Thank you so much." I say, thanking the kind woman.

We shuffled through the busy hospital, making sure to watch out for rushing doctors and nurses, patients in gurneys, and incoming paramedics. We finally made it to the elevator, but not before being crammed into it with several other nurses and a person on a stretcher. My face was squished against the wall of the elevator and I could almost taste a nurse's shoulder.

"Excuse me, sorry." One nurse said.

"It smells like blood in here!" Charlie exclaims with a look of disgust.

"That would be me, yeah." A voice with striking familiarity pinged in my ears.

I look down at the stretcher and see Ethan laying down in bloody sheets.

"Oh my god, Ethan! What happened to you?!" I ask worriedly.

"Oh, I was doing a challenge with Grayson for a video and it didn't go well," Ethan explains, wincing.

"And what was the challenge? Seeing who can bleed out the fastest?" I shout.

"Knife throwing, actually. Not a good idea now that I think about it." Ethan replies, looking down at his wound.

Ethan had a large cut down his leg and it was bleeding quite a bit.

"Doesn't that hurt?" Frankie asks.

"Extremely, but I'm on some mad pain killers,  so I can barely even feel my fingers," Ethan says, waving his hand in front of his face.

"Okay, well, don't die today. I'll miss you too much. I need the Identical Idiots by my side," I say as the elevator doors open on the fifth floor.

"And do me a favor. Stop being stupid, alright?" I ask, waving Ethan off.

"No promises!" Ethan shouts back as he gets wheeled away.

Charlie, Frankie and I exit and elevator and walk frantically down the hall looking for Will's room. We finally stop at Room 702 and notice that the door was open. We each step inside, one by one, being very quiet, as we didn't want to wake Will. He was knocked out cold and he was on a respirator.  He had breathing tubes in his nose and was connected to an IV. It was very saddening to see him like this.

I peeked a little further into the room and see Alex slumped over in a chair. He was also knocked out cold and his head was bobbing in the little way that it does. A small giggle slipped out from my lips and I quietly walked over to him. I began shaking his arm a bit.

"Hey, Alex. Wake up," I say ever so quietly.

Alex's eyes fluttered open with a slight squint. He yawns and stretches a little. He looks over at me, adjusting his focus.

"Blake!" He says surprised.

"You were out like a light. You okay?" I ask, rubbing his shoulder as he sat up.

"Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine. I was just so stressed about Will, that's all." Alex explains while rubbing his eyes.

"Well, how about you, Charlie and Frankie go get something to eat, huh?" I offer.

Alex chuckled and got up, hugging me in the process. I hug him back and wave him off. He greets Charlie and Frankie, but not before staring at me in concern.

"It's okay, Alex. I'll watch him," I say, with a small smile.

He nods and goes with my two other friends to go to the cafeteria. I look back at Will, who was still asleep.

I sit in a chair next to his bed and just watch him. Inhale, exhale. In and out, his breaths went. The sounds of the respirator fill the nearly silent room. Although Will and I aren't agreeing on terms, I never took the time to notice how peaceful Will was in this moment. Him sleeping made me feel at ease for once in my life. Especially with an egotistical, self-centered person like Will.

As I studied William's breathing, I heard small groans. I became more alert since it seemed like Will was beginning to wake up. I slowly rose from my seat, straightening my dress as I stood. I walk over to Will's bedside and grip the cold metal railing.

"Will? Hey, it's me. It's Blake. I'm right here." I say soothingly.

Will began to awaken and his eyes fluttered open, widening as he took in a large breath.

"Where am I?" Will asks, his Australian accent echoed in the room with a raspy tone.

"You're in the hospital, Will. But everything is ok. You're okay now." I reassure him.

"How'd I get here? Where's Alex?!? What happened?!?" Will began to panic, realizing where he was and he sat up suddenly.

"Will, calm down, alright? Lay back down. You're okay. Alex just went to get some food for you." I say, trying to calm him down.

"Wait, why are you here? I thought you'd be at home by now." Will asks inquisitively while laying back down.

"Why would I be at home at a time like this?" I respond.

"I don't know. I just thought you wouldn't want to come see me like this." Will says, looking down at his bed.

"I wanted to see if you were alright. You had a seizure at the party and we had to bring you to the hospital. I thought...I thought you were-" I bit my lip to hold in my tears.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," I say, sniffling. I chuckle as I wiped my wet eyes.

Without even thinking, Will sat up, removed his breathing tubes, leaned in close so we were at eye level, held my face in his hands and placed his lips on mine.

I was literally stunned at the fact my bully was kissing me. ON THE LIPS! I wanted to pull away. I wanted to say no and possibly get a slap or two in, but I didn't resist. I didn't pull away as William's surprisingly soft kiss reeled me in. His heart was the only thing making noise in that hospital room, as mine had stopped suddenly. Will releases the kiss and our breathing hitched as we let go. My breaths came out shaky as I stared deeply into his eyes.

"W-What was t-that f-for?" I stutter.

"Just wanted to get familiar. Consider it as a thank you." William's voice, smooth as silk, rolled off his tongue and into my ears. He pushes my glasses back on the bridge of my nose and caresses my cheek.

He moved away from me and laid back down, still staring into my eyes. I did the same. I sat back down in my chair stunned until knocks on the door startled me. It was Alex.

"Hey, I brought you some yogurt, Blake. I didn't know what kind you liked," Alex says, handing me a yogurt and a spoon.

"Thanks," I say quickly and take the food from him.

"Look at who's up and awake," Alex says to Will.

"Yeah, he's been up for a while," I say, shifty-eyed.

"So, how do you feel?" Alex asks.

"Better than ever," Will replies while looking at me, smiling.

I stare back at him in guilt, gulping down the rest of my yogurt. I just kissed Alex's best friend and he has no idea.  I think to myself.

And I liked it....

Blake Penelope ♥