7. #WorkTheMiddle

It's Saturday! And you know what that means! No, not the Weekend Rush! No, that means the Weekend Off! Yeah, it's great because my dad took the weekend off, so he closed up shop and went out of town. When my dad is off, I'm off too! Yeah, time to party...my way, of course. My kind of party is, obviously, reading a giant physics book front to back, eating whatever junk food I want, which is a lemon meringue pie and a milkshake, and binge watching The Flash and Supergirl nonstop because I can. What? People have different ideas of fun and this is what I consider fun, people!

Speaking of fun, my best friend, Alexander hasn't texted me in a while. I wonder what's going on. Ah, maybe it's nothing. As I type this, I am downing an Oreo milkshake. Don't judge me. I finished my milkshake and put on decent clothes and by decent, I mean my gray sweatpants and a wifebeater. I also threw my hair in a messy bun and put my taped glasses on.

I headed downstairs while I brushed my teeth from my breakfast that was the milkshake. I finished brushing my teeth and spit in the kitchen sink in the diner. As I did this, I heard the diner door shaking, as if someone was trying to come in. Um, hello, we are closed for a reason, people! Read. The. Sign. I turn around to see Alex yanking on the door handle. My eyes widen in shock. Well, not like shock, but more pure embarrassment. I wipe my mouth of toothpaste and hastily throw my toothbrush in the kitchen sink. I fix my hair and glasses and speed walk towards the door to let him in.

Alex notices my careless effort in putting on decent and clean clothes and smirks at me. I nervously smile at him and unlock the door.

"Well, well. Look at what we have here. A lazy, sloppy nerd? That's just weird." Alex laughs at me and playfully punches me in the arm.

"Hey, it's my day off. I don't always have to dress like a high school principal." I say, shoving him playfully.

"So, where's your Commander in Chief?" Alex asks, hinting at my dad.

"On a business trip. And by business, I mean a trip to Dallas for some rodeo show." I say as I walk to my living room.

"Oh, so he's not here?" Alex asks as he follows behind me.

"Nope." I respond, popping the 'p'.

"Cool. So you have the diner to yourself, huh?" Alex says, plopping down on the couch.

"Yes, sir. All to myself. Pretty sweet, huh?" I say as I lay on the beige futon.

Alex sits on my coach and makes himself comfortable.

"Oh, wait before we make ourselves any more comfortable, I need to ask you something." Alex starts, sitting back up.

"Okay, shoot," I say, staring at the ceiling.

"The guys and I got invited to a house party tonight. You wanna come with?" Alex asks, rubbing the back of his neck.

I nearly choked on my breath as he asked that. I sat up on the couch coughing abruptly.

"You good?" Alex asks concerned.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm good, but a party?" I say, getting up from the futon and walking back to the kitchen.

"Yeah, I mean, it wouldn't be a party without you, Blake. You're the coach. It wouldn't be fair to have the whole team there and you're left on the sidelines. Come on, it'll be fun." Alex tries to convince me while I fiddle with my fingers.

"But I'm not a 'people person' or a 'party person'. I wouldn't know the first thing about going to a party. Believe me when I say that because I should know. I've never been invited to any parties before. I'm a hermit, Alex." I say sorrowfully.

"Blake, relax. Just tag along and be yourself. Everything will be fine as long as you show them you can work the middle." Alex says, doing a dumb little spin.

Alex grabs my hands and spins me around in a circle. Before I could say anything, we were doing the tango in the middle of the diner floor. He spun me again and I had to question him.

"Work the middle?" I say, clearly confused.

"Work the middle, Blake. Work. The. Middle." Alex leaves quickly while moonwalking out of the restaurant.

I erupt in laughter as Alex points to me from outside of the building's window. I didn't know what he meant by "Work The Middle", but I was gonna find out soon enough.

I bit my lip in nervousness and ran to the kitchen. I rummaged through the shelves and cupboards looking for a fork. As soon as I find a fork, I run to the refrigerator to find the rest of the lemon meringue pie I was eating. I find the pie and immediately start to devour the rest of the desert. You see, I have a condition where I consume large amounts of sugar to calm my nerves. I think they call it "stress eating" or something like that. I just call it eating my nerves away.

I'm not proud of this "condition" but it helps me. Sorta. My mom passed that habit to me. It helped with the stress of her cancer when she was first diagnosed and it helped her stay strong until the end. When things got her down, she and I would sit down at the dinner table and gorge on a fudge sundae.

You might be thinking, "But that's unhealthy, Blake! You'll get fat!"
Look, getting fat was the least of our problems back then, ok? Besides, we looked like we ate nothing but vegetables all the time, so eating junk food never bothered us.

With my dad, it was a different story. My dad is Hawaiian and my mother was of German descent, so food was our friend. We used to eat all types of food and travel a lot until my dad enlisted into the Army when I was born. He was stationed in many different areas, so we were getting used to moving around a lot.

I've been to Japan, Norway, Germany, Thailand and Hawaii, but only for a short period of time. A couple of months to maybe a year at best. It was fun to explore and experience different cultures from around the world. Did you know Norway is just gorgeous in the springtime? All the flowers, just beautiful.

Anyway, I don't know if I could do this "party thing". I don't know how to act at a party. Do I dance, do I not dance? Will I trip and fall on my face? What is gonna happen? I'm nervous. I need help from an expert. A real party person. I am gonna regret this, I know it. Well, bye guys. I tell you more on my party fiasco. Kiss Kiss.

XOXO

Blake Penelope