18. The String Continues...

Breathe. Breathe. Come on, Blake, breathe. BREATHE!

I could feel a gallon of water escape my lungs as my body rested on a bed of grass. I coughed loudly and inhaled a large amount of air, which burned my lungs. My vision was cloudy and I could barely hear the sound of my own breathing since the ringing in my ears was unbearable. I turned onto my back to notice Alex leaning over me with fear in his eyes. That fear then turned to relief as I focused my vision on his gaze.

"Alex?" I whispered as Alex stroked my forehead and hair.

"I'm right here. I'm right here. It's okay. It's okay." Alex comforts me.

I cough a little more and then my teeth start to chatter.

"Do you wanna sit up?" Alex asks me as he cradles me.

I nod and Alex lifts me up by holding my back and gripping my arm. I began to shiver and Alex just held me in his arms as tight as he could to keep me warm. I shut my eyes and laid there in his arms. I almost died. I almost died. We almost died. We stare out towards the lake and see Alex's car fully submerged in the water. The only thing I could see was the back windshield.

I take my focus off of the car and onto Alex, who looked just as bad as I did. I checked him up and down to notice that there was blood on his pants. I looked down to see that Alex had broken his right leg so badly that the bone tore the skin and he was bleeding profusely. Along with that, Alex was bleeding from his forehead and he was holding his chest in pain.

"Oh, my God, Alex, you're bleeding!" I exclaim.

"Don't worry about me, Blake. I'm fine!" Alex winced.

"No, you are not! We need to get you to a hospital! Come on, we're right near my house!" I say, getting up slowly.

Alex was hesitant, but he eventually complied. He grabbed onto me and I supported him by propping him up by wrapping his arm around my neck and holding onto his waist. We limped to the diner, where I set him down in a booth. Alex started to groan, which made me feel bad because of how much pain he was in. I went to the back of the restaurant to find something that would make a good makeshift splint and I grabbed a dish rag to hopefully stop the bleeding.

"Oh, man. These were my favorite jeans!" Alex sorrowfully complained.

"We'll buy new ones later! Just hold on!" I say, bringing the stuff to Alex.

As I prepared to set Alex's leg into place, I began to stare at him, who was in immense pain. His lips were starting to lose their bright pink tint and Alex's cheeks had begun to lost the mocha glow that they had. Alex is starting to lose a lot of blood and if I don't help him now...I'm afraid I might have to find a new quarterback.

"Here, Alex," I say handing him the dishrag. Alex was getting lightheaded, I could tell. His focus was leaving mine fast.

"Alex, baby, look at me. I need you to press this on your leg while I make this splint, okay?" I ask him.

He slowly nods in pain and proceeds to press on his injured leg.

"Aah! It hurts Blake, please!" Alex cries.

"I know, hon, I know! Here, I made the splint. Just carefully try to lift your leg up and I'll put your leg in here, okay?" I say.

Again, Alex nods and complies with the instructions. Alex lifts his leg and ever so carefully, I put his leg in the splint. Each time I had made the slightest moment, Alex let out a yell, or he sucked his teeth, or he began to cry, which was something I had never really seen him do. I couldn't feel any more awful than I already did. I had taken my jacket that I was wearing and tried to clean up as much blood as I could, but his leg and forehead just kept bleeding. After I got Alex's leg in the splint and he was somehow stable enough for me to leave for a few seconds, I ran to the diner phone and called 911. I told them my address and the current situation we were in.