Sneak Peek of Chapter 22: Tryouts

"Hang on, guys! I forgot my whistle!" I shout to the boys as they made their grand entrance on the field. 

I run back to the locker room and search through my official Coach locker to search for my most important item. As I lose hope and patience, I slam my locker closed, only to see Nate standing right behind the door, scaring the daylight out of me. 

"JESUS CHRIST!" I yell, holding my heart in my hands. 

"Hi there, Coach," Nate says, putting extra emphasis on the 'ch'. 

"Nate. What do you want?" I ask aggravated. 

"Looks like you made it, finally," Nate says, scratching his non-existent beard. 

"Looks like we did. You got a problem with that?" I say, bucking at him. 

"No, no. No problem at all. It's just...I feel like you're forgetting something." Nate dangles a really familiar object in my face. 

"My whistle! Give it back!" I demand, holding my hand out. 

"Ah-ah-ah. No can do, Nerd Pants. Ya see we Hawkeyes worked real hard to get where we are. Whether we played dirty or not. And we are gonna WIN whether we play dirty or not." Nate says as he swings my whistle lanyard around his dirty finger. 

"No, you won't because Foxes come to play fair, not dirty. This is the final game before State Championships, Nate. And we are gonna win, whether you like or not." I say smugly. 

"Not without the coach, you're not," Nate says devilishly. 

"What?" I utter quickly. 

Before I could even get another reaction out, Nate placed my whistle around his neck and snapped his fingers. Then, out of thin air, two of Nate's teammates came from the side of him and they both grabbed me by my arms. 

I struggle to release myself from their grasp. "LET GO OF ME! GET OFF ME!" 

"Blake, we all have our methods and ways of getting the glory. Honestly, this is a new one. I figured since we're up against our greatest rivals, why not change the game up a bit, hmm? Make a new game plan? So, in turn, my team and I decided, let's hit them where it hurts. No coach for the Foxes, you lose the game, we get the trophy and Hawkeyes take State." Nate explains his evil plan. 

"Will was right! You really are a douchebag!" I yell. 

"You're JUST now figuring that out?" Nate questions with a smug smile on his face. 

"You won't get away with this, Nate. I swear when I get out of here, you are going DOWN!" I scream, still struggling.

"I figured you'd say that, so I came prepared. Boys, hold her nice and straight up for me." Nate says, snapping his fingers again. 

The guys did what they were told and they held onto me as I continued to struggle in their grasp. Nate then takes a few steps back, makes a running stance, then charges head-on with his fist. I double over in extreme pain. Nate then continues to punch me in the stomach as his teammates held me down. I couldn't even utter a scream since my lungs had contracted due to the wind being knocked out of me. The pain was unbearable. Every other minute or so, Nate would switch a punch with a knee or a foot. When Nate finished, he snapped his fingers once again and the boys who held me let me slump to the floor as I laid in the fetal position, gasping and groaning in pain. 

"What do we do now? If we leave her here, there's a chance she'll snitch and get us disqualified." One of Nate's goons says. 

"That's where you leave it to me, boys. Let's start the party." Nate and his goons then begin to kick and pummel me on the cold locker room floor. 

The sounds of my agony could be heard as they bounced off the walls. I used whatever strength I had in me to cover my head and face, but the force of the kicks was too strong. All I could do was cry and yell. I was getting my ass handed to me and there was no way to cry for help because I had lost my voice from screaming so much. After what felt like years of torture, the beating finally ended. I was bleeding from nearly everywhere on my body and I was bruised from head-to-toe. The boys looked at me in satisfaction and made their exit. I used my remaining strength and turned myself over onto my back. I began to cough up enormous amounts of blood, my nose, ears, and lips were seeping blood and my vision was getting blurrier by the second. I stared at the ceiling as the hot, white lights in the locker room shone in my pupils. Every blink was painful and the light got brighter and brighter. 

I knew that this was it. My heart stopped the moment I took my final breath. I finally succumbed to my fate and I let the light take me. 

"Blake, honey. It's okay. Come here, my sweet baby girl." A voice echoes in my ears. 

"Hello?" I say as I get up and walk forward. 

"Blake, you don't recognize me?" The voice says in disappointment. 

I say nothing. 

"Come here, honey." The voice pulls me closer and closer. 

I stop in the middle of the white space and look around. In the blink of an eye, a figure stands in front of me. The resemblance was uncanny and my heart dropped. The figure came from the shadows and revealed itself to me. I couldn't believe my eyes. 

"Come to Mama, baby girl." The voice says, pulling me tighter into its grasp. 

"Mama?" I say, completely shocked. 

**End of Sneak Peek**