Pretty in Pink

I had been looking forward to Saint Patrick’s Day until the final attending guest list was in front of me. Is it wrong to still be mad that I almost died because Lacee, my once best friend, held important details from me? Like the fact her brother is completely off his rocker?

The games for the Kaine family Annual St. Patty’s Day Bash were all laid out, even the teams. Lucky for me Taylor and Zyler were rivals in every game so that meant so were Lacee and I. She’s so going down.

I was pulled away from my thoughts as Delilah squeezed my shoulder, “The DJ is here. Where should he set up?”

“On the deck will be great.” I smiled brightly, looking into her eyes. The joy I saw was something I had never seen.

“This is all so wonderful.” Dee nodded, “You didn’t have to do this for us.”

“This is what I do for a living.” I shrugged with a roll of the wrist, “As long as you guys are happy with it, that’s all that matters. I did my best to not stray from your traditions and just added some more stuff for you to enjoy.”

“No. It’s amazing Chloe. I’m very thankful that I don’t have to be stuck in the kitchen this year.” She radiated happiness and gratitude, “I get to be a part of the fun for once.”

I gave her a hug and she kissed my cheek, “The whole family should have fun.” I stated matter of factly. 

“Thank you. We’re blessed to have you as a part of the family.” Her eyes glittered as they glazed over with tears.

Out of care and instinct my eyes began to water. I never imagined having a moment of closeness with my future mother in law like this. Living with them made it easier to form a bond with her.

I nodded waving my hand with a laugh, “We’re such girls!”

Dee laughed swiping her eyes, “Ok, ok. I’m going to check on the cater company.”

“And I’m going to check on the DJ.” I nodded before we parted into different directions. I’m proud to say I love that woman.

---

All the guests had arrived and were mingling about the Kaine residence inside and out. The rooms were filled with chatter and laughter, which made my heart swell with happiness. My own family gatherings had never been so fulfilled and it was more than I could have hoped for.

I made my way to the DJ to give him an announcement and clapped happily with a small squeal. Peering around, I couldn’t help but smile at all the people who have been coming to their parties for years. They were sure in for a treat, well I hoped anyways.

“If everyone could please make their way down to the tables on the lower deck area. The first game will begin in five minutes.” The DJ spoke clearly through the microphone.

Everyone followed direction and went to their designated places. As soon as everyone was lined up at their respective tables, equal lines of people on either side, the game of Flip Cup began. There were cheers, yelling, cursing, and laughing all mixing together in the air. After a few rounds it was down to the finals. Zyler’s team, which consisted of him, me, Delilah, her best friend Carol, Zyler’s cousin Scott, Kailee, and Bradley, against Taylor’s team, which was Taylor, Lacee, Scott’s sister Melanie, William, Carol’s husband Steve, another cousin Brittany, and her husband Daniel.

I looked around the table at everyone with a smirk, studying each opponent before looking up at Zyler, “We got this baby.”

“Have you seen my mom drink?” Zyler chuckled, eyeing his mother on the side of me with his sexy grin he developed when he was buzzing, “Of course we do.”