13 - Leaving The Land of Waves

A dagger landed suddenly in front of the thugs, making them stop in their tracks.

"There's one little thing you're forgetting about! Before you set foot in our village, you'll have to go through the lot of us!"

All of the villagers were lined up with weapons, Inari front and center.

Everyone started cheering all at once.

"Inari!" Naruto looked puzzled, but happy more than anything to see him.

"Heroes usually show up at the last minute, ya know?" Inari answered with a smile.

"You really did all this?" I beamed.

"They all came–the whole village." Tazuna said quietly.

The thugs started to falter, debating whether they should take their chances.

Then Naruto used his shadow clone jutsu, creating more than I had ever seen him make.

He still has enough chakra for that? Well, I don't wanna be useless!

"Ice Style: Mirror Clone Jutsu!"

I managed to make a few clones, not many, but those, Naruto's, and Kakashi Sensei's clones seemed to put them over edge, and they ran for their ship.

As soon as that happened, I stopped my jutsu, not wanting to overdo it and run out of chakra again.

"Victory!" Inari yelled, and everyone followed him with shouts and laughs of triumph.

Now that everything is over– I thought to myself, looking over to Haku and then everyone else. They all seemed to be glad, and weren't really paying attention.

I made my way over to him, murmuring "excuse me," more times than I could really count, and the whole crowd, once it calmed down, seemed to part a path to Haku.

Once nearing him, I knelt and rested my hand on his chest, checking for any vital signs. His body was limp, heavy, cold, and I couldn't get a pulse from him.

"A shinobi never shows his feelings, no matter what the circumstances. Feelings are a weakness that only cloud his judgement and weaken his sense of duty." I said to myself, then I frowned. "I had always wanted to see you again, Haku, but I wish it wouldn't have been like this. If only we had stayed together–"

I let my hand go limp by my side and didn't say much else. I couldn't.

I felt everyone's eyes on me: the villagers', my teammates'. I lifted my hand again, and closed his eyes carefully.

I realized that everyone had gone silent, and, wondering why, I looked up to see Kakashi Sensei carrying Zabuza our way.

Snow started falling, slowly but surely.

"Huh?" I heard one of the villagers say. "Snowing at this time of year? Impossible!"

I bowed my head quickly, said a quick prayer to Haku and Zabuza, and as soon as Kakashi Sensei set Zabuza down, I got up and left, to be with the others.