38 - Two Less Genin

We had gotten back from our last mission the night that we had departed from the other village. Sasuke was the only one injured, and after he was examined they told us that it wasn't serious and he'd be okay soon.

That was relieving. However, that meant that I didn't have anyone to train with until he got back home, meaning all I could practice was my shuriken throwing, and chakra control, off the top of my head. Neither of those things sounded appealing—I had mostly mastered them already.

Meaning I had absolutely nothing to do.

A small groan was heard from me as I walked the streets of Konoha, not knowing where I was headed. I followed one street after the other, finding nothing interesting.

After walking for quite a while, I finally stopped and looked around, trying to get familiar with the surroundings so I could take a guess at where I was.

"This place is..." I mumbled to myself. "Where we had our first test, with the bells...Ah. It feels as if that was years ago."

I proceeded to roam around, scanning the trees and grass, almost wishing I could memorize the whole field. Soon I reached the posts, where Naruto had been tied up.

I walked up to the four posts and ran my hand along one, savoring the memories we had made here. I then turned around to the memorial stone, and realized I wasn't the only one there.

Kakashi Sensei stood alone in front of the rock, a small bouquet of flowers sitting by his foot. I wasn't sure whether to approach him or not.

While I was contemplating whether I should leave or talk to him, he turned around and saw me. Not saying a word, he nodded me over.

I kept the silence as I approached the stone, looking at the names engraved on it, the newest and brightest reading the name of the Third Hokage.

We stood for a few more minutes before he turned to look at me. "Did you need me?"

I shook my head. "Just aimlessly wandering. I'm sorry for intruding."

"You're not intruding on anything." He said, patting me on the head, then leaving his hand to rest there.

My eyes wandered up to what I could see of his face. His eye showed a hint of his sadness, and it also looked as if he was upset with himself about something.

I wanted so badly to ask him what was wrong, but I already knew. Someone he knew had their name engraved into the stone, and he was thinking about them. I knew, however, that if I asked, he could get even more upset than he was. But then again, he could just say he didn't want to answer the question. If he did answer, that would be a chance of getting to know just a little more about him.

"Sensei?" I blurted out with no further thought, taking a deep breath.

"Yes, (Name)?" His eye met mine, and it felt like he knew what I was going to say.

"Can you tell me about them?" I asked after a brief pause.

He raised the hand that was on my head and moved it forward to the rock, his index finger landing on a name. I moved forward to see it.

Obito Uchiha

I repeated the name softly, and he moved his hand again. His finger stopped.

Rin Nohara

"They were both my teammates." He said, taking his finger off of the stone.