29 - A Jinchuriki's True Form

I jumped a few trees away to hide, focusing most of my attention on concealing my presence, hiding my chakra so they couldn't sense it.

All the while, I was keeping watch as well as wondering,

What the hell was that?

My breaths came out shaky as I thought of it again. Of course, I was asking myself that, but I already knew what it was. These were something that I had taken an interest in at a young age, and I had studied them with great zeal.

Gaara was a jinchuriki of a tailed beast–more specifically, the one-tailed Shukaku. I quickly tried to gather the knowledge I knew about the Shukaku. I knew its appearance–which is how I knew that Gaara was his jinchuriki. I knew the appearances of all of the tailed beasts.

Shukaku has the power to take over its host when he or she is asleep. I remember that being pointed out by Itachi, who had also taken great interest in the tailed beasts and their jinchuriki as well, and had studied them with me.

There were a few other things I knew of the Shukaku also–it was able to use Sand Manipulation, combining wind and earth chakra natures. Its sand armor. But that was most important. We couldn't let him go to sleep, or it would be more terrifying than it was already.

I glanced backwards right before he came to attack me, and I was able to get away. I went to hide again, and he started yelling at me.

"Are you scared of me? My existence?" He yelled, laughing slightly. "Come out, both of you! Sasuke Uchiha, (Name) Yuki...You're my prey!"

I stood rooted against the tree, still taking shaky breaths. At least he's not going to sleep...not going to let it take over him.

I knew what it was now, so I wasn't as afraid as I had been. Then again, it was still a tailed beast.

I felt someone brush against my arm, and I started to let out a shrill yelp before they put their hand over my mouth. I looked up quickly to be greeted with, once again, a familiar face. Everything familiar. His familiar facial features, his familiar silvery-gray eyes that were so easy to get lost in, and his familiar raven-colored hair.

"Bastard." Sasuke cursed, taking a glance back at Gaara.

"Why–do you flee?" Gaara yelled, adding almost a regretful, sad tone to his words. "I won't let you escape me!"

There was a sudden crashing, and a tree came down suddenly afterwards. My eyes widened.

"We have more of a chance together..." I said to myself.

"Yeah, I know that. That's why I came over here." He whispered. "Do you know what it is?"

"Let me explain in a minute, let's watch what he does first."

I peered around the tree. Gaara had knocked down a number of trees to try to find us, and was getting awfully close.

"You've gotta be kidding! What's with that outrageous strength?" He whispered.

"Are you afraid of me? Are you afraid of my existence?" Gaara repeated.

"This chakra is overwhelming...What is he?" Sasuke asked.