44 - Final Battle

I awoke to a blinding bright light, and I covered my eyes in instinct. When it didn't go away, I slowly uncovered my eyes and realized that it wasn't hurting me. I sat up, looking over myself. The wound in my shoulder was gone, the wound in my leg was gone, and there was no wound in my chest.

It was all just...gone.

However, I wasn't in the same place. This place was lit up by an unknown light source, and there wasn't much else to note.

It was an open pathway with a lake at the end of it. On either side of me were bushes that had white and pink flowers growing on them. A few trees littered the area, only a few feet taller than I was.

Even though I wasn't injured, I still got up slowly. When I got onto my feet, I felt as light as a feather. It didn't feel like I weighed anything at all.

I took a few wobbly steps before getting my balance back, and wandered in the direction of the lake. I saw people there–but something was off. They were all standing, packed together, as if they were waiting for me.

I wanted to know what was going on, and why I was here. This wasn't what death was, was it?

As I got closer, and almost halfway to the crowd of people, I heard my name being shouted. I started to go a bit faster, since I recognized some of the voices, and ended up running because there was so many people I had known.

I ran and ran until I got to them, not wanting them to disappear. These were all of the people in my life that had passed away who I was close to. I never thought I would see these people again. As I scanned through the crowd, I finally found who I was looking for.

"Mother!" I cried out happily, tears pricking at my eyes as I ran into her arms. Her smile was the same–warm, welcoming–almost nothing had changed. A single tear rolled down my cheek, and Mother let go of me to wipe it away.

"Don't cry, (Name)." She said, still holding me close.

"(Name), there's not much time. You have to go back soon." The owner of the voice patted me on the head.

I turned around, recognizing the voice from the first word. "Mikoto!"

She smiled warmly, seeing as I remembered her, and I embraced her also.

"But, wait..." I said, letting go of Mikoto. "I–have to go back?" I repeated. "I'm not dead?"

"We wouldn't let that happen." Haku's voice joined in. "We're just here to let you know that we're watching over you. We're here for you, and we're protecting you."

"You've got our whole clan backing you up." Mikoto smiled, gesturing towards the people in the back of her.

"And ours." Mother did the same.

"You've grown a lot since I first met you, kid. I'd be proud to call you a real ninja now." I turned with an emotional smile towards Zabuza, who was standing by Mother and Haku.

"Now, come on." Haku pulled me in for a hug. "You can do this. Bring him back. You of all people will be the one to convince him. We'll be behind you on your every decision–and if you need us, just call for us. We're willing to do whatever we can to help you succeed."