17 - Chunin Exam Part 1 : The Written Exam

Everyone, everything, had went quiet. The only sound was of the floors and chairs creaking from people leaning forward or moving around, getting up and trying to see those at the door.

He pointed near our direction, making us jump. "First, you candidates from the Village Hidden in the Sound. Knock it off! Who told you you could fight? Do you want to be failed before we even begin?"

The one with the bandages replied quickly and calmly. "Sorry. It's our first time here, guess we're a little jumpy, sir."

Ibiki took a look around at the other candidates.

"I'll say this once, so listen up. There will be no combat between candidates. No attacking each other without the permission of your proctor. And even then, the use of fatal force is strictly prohibited. Anyone who even thinks of messing with me will be disqualified immediately. Got it?"

Everyone was silent for a while longer, so he took it as a yes and spoke once more. "Now, if we're ready, we'll proceed to the first stage of the Chunin Exam. Hand over your paperwork. In return, you'll each be given a number."

He held up a stack of papers, with a '1' at the front.

"This number determines where you will sit. We'll start the written test once you're all seated."

"The...What?"

"Written test?"

\(•ᴥ•)/

After handing in all of the paperwork, our team, and no one else's team, ended up sitting anywhere near to each other.

I was at the middle row, with Rock Lee on the left of me and someone else I didn't know on the right. Sakura was sitting one row ahead of me, and Naruto one row ahead of her. I had yet to see Sasuke.

"Everyone, eyes front." Ibiki instructed us as he tapped the chalkboard in front of us with the chalk he was holding. "There are a few rules you need to be aware of. And I won't answer any questions. So you better pay attention the first time around!

All right, rule number one is this–The written part of the exam is conducted on a point reduction system. Contrary to what some of you may be used to, you all begin the test with a perfect score of 10 points.

One point will be deducted for each answer you get wrong. So if you miss three, your final score will be seven.

Rule number two–Teams will pass or fail based on the total scores of all three–or four–members."

"What? Wait a second!" Sakura exclaimed somewhat surprised and somewhat angrily. "You're saying we all get scored as a team?"

"Silence! I have my reasons, so shut up and listen. Rule number three–the sentinels you see positioned around the room are there to watch you carefully for any signs of cheating.

And for every incident they spot, they will subtract two points from the culprit's score.

Be warned—their eyes are extremely sharp. And if they catch you five times, you'll be dismissed before the tests are even scored."

I pulled a knot out of my hair, thinking. There's two ways to lose points, the scores are based on the team as a whole. They may look at us a bit harder, since we have a team of four, therefore we have a chance that one of our members could flunk and we could still pass as a whole. So we cannot cheat, but I hope the others understand that...