Epilogue

*3rd person*

Serena's hands rest against the rooftop as she looks out to the streets below. The warm air of New Orleans circling around her. With a sudden gush of wind, the blue-eyed vampire appears next to her, a smirk tugging at the corner of his lips.

"I thought I might find you up here."

She smiles up at him before return her gaze to the commotion below her. The vampire simply chuckles taking a seat next to her, his arm wrapping around her shoulder. Serena leans into him, lacing her fingers through his.

"What can I say." She begins after a long pause. "I'm a sucker for rooftops."

Klaus smirks, placing a gentle kiss to her temple. After a few moment, he rises to his feet, she looks up to him a frown on her lips.

"I have matters to attend to love, but I promise you will have my full attention later." 

She rolls her eyes at his flirtatious comment. "Be careful." 

"Love, I am an immortal hybrid I think I will be fine."

She chuckles rising to her feet and placing a gentle kiss to his lips. "I love you." She states quietly.

He freezes for a moment, although they have exchanged those words many times before he could never get us to those three words leaving her lips. Let alone that they were directed at him. He smirks, his lips meeting hers.

"I love you too, darling."

She smiles giving him one more longing kiss before he disappears from her sight. She lets out a sigh her gaze shifting to the sky.

"I am a vampire now you know." She calls to the presence watching her.

A low chuckle slips past Elijah's lips as he comes up next to her. "Forgive me, the thought tends to slip my mind."

She laughs, meeting his gaze. The two have grown quite close over the whole ordeal, so close that Elijah has looked at her like a sister. 

"I just wanted to thank you."

She raises a brow. "And what are you thanking me for this time?"

"Niklaus." He simply states. Serena remains silent waiting for him to continue. "You have brought out, in my brother, a piece of him I never thought I would have the fortune of seeing again. You gave to him a piece of himself I've been trying to get back for a thousand years. And you've given him the one thing I was not able to."

"And what's that?"

"His redemption. I have been fighting for anything that would give him that, presenting to him hoping it would stick and he would change his ways. But I know now that, that was a mistake. Niklaus need to go out and seek his own absolution, and he found that in you. You did what I could accomplish in a thousand years. And for that, I am eternity grateful."

"I didn't Redeem Klaus." She states quietly. "He did that all on his own."

"But he only started down that path for you." He gives her a warm smile, meeting her blue eyes. "You're the best thing that has happened to him, Serena. And although I know his demons are not completely gone I can take solace in the fact knowing that your presence will silence help them." 

And with that, Elijah left her alone with her thought, disappearing from the rooftop like his brother did moments ago. A small smile tugs at the corner of her lips as Elijah's words ringing through her head. She believes her words are true, that she didn't redeem Klaus, but she won't deny that she did push him in the right direction.

The End