Chapter 8

I walk up to my room and hop into the shower quickly, it felt like I was getting a fever. It was probably just me being stressed. Alice coming was a big shock to me; it made me realise that I wasn't at all safe because if she found me, Daniel could too.

I let the water run down my body but every time a drop touched my bare skin, it just burned me more. I had to turn the water for it to be almost cold for it to be satisfying. I heard that when you've got a high temperature, you're supposed to keep warm but I didn't care. Even luke warm water was unbearable.

After a long hour of standing in cold water, I dried myself with the nice, white fluffy towels that they have here and went straight to bed.

When I woke up, suddenly, I saw it was still dark outside which corresponded with the time on my phone. It was only four in the morning.

I had a dream again, involving Daniel, again. I could see his eyes and feel his touch that I wanted really badly at this moment.

Despite the time, I decided to get up and go out for a jog in human form. So I slipped on a sports bra, leggings and some trainers before tip toeing out of the pack house.

The sun was only just about to start rising, making me look forward to my view in the next few minutes. I stay on pack territory, sprinting just along the perimeter. It takes me around two hours to run along the whole border and I breathe the fresh, cool air into my lungs deeply. It gave me a moment to think about my life and have some alone time. I appreciated that very much, especially in the setting of a sublime sunrise that reflected shades of fire and tones of salmon.

I felt better than last night, but the slight burning of my skin remained.

"Good morning." I say, my voice breathy. My greeting was aimed at Garrett who I found in his usual morning spot, eating breakfast.

"I thought you were still sleeping." His face lights up when he sees me.

"No, I went for a jog early in the morning." I inform him.

"My mother may be coming to visit today." He instead tells me.

I wonder how to feel about it. I met many pack members here, been nice to all but I've never met any of Garrett's parents or even thought about their existence.

"Really? Today?"

"Yeah, I'm sure she'll like you though. She's a nice woman, she pops in from time to time." He continues. "And after she's gone, I'll take you somewhere."

"So this is the surprise you're talking about." I conclude.

"My mother coming? Yes." He answers.
I furrow my brows in confusion until he laughs and I realise he's joking.

"Yes, the second part was the surprise I was talking about yesterday. Are you okay? You seem flustered and your cheeks are looking quite hot." He notices, recovering from his amusement.

"Yeah, it's from the run." I tell him and walk over to the kitchen to grab a glass of cold water. "I'll go shower and get changed. Don't want your mum to see me like this now, do we?"

"Well, I don't know. Is someone trying to impress her?"

"Is someone trying to earn a kick in the balls?" I scoff, unamused with his joke. He gives me a lasting smirk that I escape from only once I'm upstairs and out of sight.
I practically run to the bathroom and once again take a long, cool shower.

When I get out, I do my make-up and brush my long hair, leaving it straight and down. I change into a simple outfit, just in time for Mrs Jackson's arrival.