Chapter 14

My heart skips a beat as he asks me that. Not because I cared about Garrett enough - even though he was someone I felt closely attached to - but because of how the last time we saw each other ended. Despite how awkward that would be, I still wanted to know if he didn't have a broken nose after the Daniel encounter and I did feel like all of it was purely and entirely my own fault.

"Wait a minute... How do you know about-" I scrunch my brows at the sudden realization that I didn't tell him about Garrett ever. Nobody except Daniel and Alice knew.

He puts his hand over my mouth again. "Shut up, stop being so loud!" He scolds. "I'm trying to be nice for once and as repayment I won't live till sunrise when my dear brother hears I'm in your bedroom."

"Okay, okay!" I frown, prying his fingers from my face.

I get up, grabbing a dressing gown to put over my nightwear as I follow Enzo outside. A thought that this is not a way to Garrett, instead it's a trap to lure me out to the woods somewhere in darkness of the early morning and kill me crosses my mind. I quickly get rid of it and decide I'm overthinking the whole thing though because what would even be the motive?

To hurt Daniel through you, they hate each other, remember?

I couldn't tell if this was my wolf talking or just my own paranoid self, but Daniel wouldn't care if I died so it wouldn't make sense. Yet none of it is relevant anyway when I see no other but Garrett Jackson. Maybe Lorenzo wasn't lying.

He stares at me for a moment, as if not believing it's me until he says my name in a questioning tone at the same time as I say his, walking closer.

"What are you doing here? If Daniel found out you're here he could have you killed." I say, unimpressed at his stupidity.

"I had to see if you were okay. Lorenzo organized the whole thing to make sure it was safe for me to see you." He explains. That was rather nice of Enzo, I'll admit I'm surprised.

"Come back and leave with me again." I'm slapped back into reality as I hear his proposition. "I promise I'll keep you safe, he won't take you again."

"Garrett, what are you on about?" I stand, confused.

"I want you to come back to me. I want you with me."

"No." I shake my head firmly. I glance at Enzo who just looks bored as always, either that or his usual smirk.

Garrett definitely looks taken aback. "Why not?"

"It's not right, Daniel is my mate and I... Should be with him." I explain using a soft tone.

His face turns noticably angrier. "But he isn't a good one to you and you deserve better! Does he hurt you? Abuse you?"

"No-" He doesn't let me talk.

"You're not in heat anymore... You two..." A look of realization spreads across his features.

"No." I roll my eyes at his assumptions.

"That explains it all, why you want to stay with that monster." He snaps.

"Listen to me!" I growl, lightly slapping his face to knock some sense into him. "He doesn't hurt me and we didn't do it."

The anger coming from my side was at his insult about Daniel. I don't know why it affected me so much but the mate bond growing day after day is probably the best explanation. Garrett was annoying me to say the least. His hatred for Daniel was clouding his judgements and on top of that, it frustrated me that I had to explain my sex life to him and in front of my mate's own brother.