Chapter 16

"What is it?" He asks me in a hushed tone.

"Privately." I add, desperately. By now we were already in the next room, another table, this time full of food in sight. Daniel sighs but nods.

"Alright, but please, after the food." He suggests.

It will be a little late to discuss this when we're leaving but I guess I will wait it out a little longer. I wasn't fond of this whole ally idea and I wanted Daniel to know about it.

"So, Daniel. I didn't know you had a mate." Says Cory, grinning a little at us. He was observing me carefully as he spoke.

"Yeah, well I didn't think I had to inform you on every event in my life." Daniel huffs. "How's your mate finding process? None made? Oh, that's a shame."

I kick his leg from under the table with my heel, making him scowl at me. "Be nice." I whisper in a firm tone. I'm sure if the other two wanted to, they would be able to hear it with their wolf hearing anyway.

"Yeah, well you know, I never thought of myself as the lovey-dovey happy ever after kind of guy. I like girls for one night." Cory explains. "I thought you did too."

My mood changes from a fairly good to pure shit after he says that. He said it clearly because I was here and he wanted to get back at Daniel but yet it bothered me because I knew that what Cory was saying has some truth in it.

"That's enough, boys." Cuts in Randall. You could sense the authority right away. "Let's enjoy our time here, please."

"Watch yourself." Daniel gives Cory a death glare to which he mutually responds to.
I eat a little bit of food, but thinking over and over about the decision Daniel has made to join a war doesn't increase my appetite.

"So, Remington." Begins Randall. "How did you and Daniel find one another?"

Here they come. The questions about Daniel and I's 'relationship'. I already felt like at a family gathering with aunts and uncles asking about a boyfriend. Both of them did seem very interested in whatever Daniel and I were, that being the center of all conversations.

"Well..." I take a deep breath in to think about how to respond to that.

I got drugged and kidnapped by him, tied to a chair in a pitch dark room and questioned by him, but he decided to show some mercy and let me out because turns out he's a dumb being, and captured the wrong person, yet 'let out' doesn't really mean 'let out' with him because I was still forced to stay in his pack.

And now I'm the dumb one because I had an opportunity to leave but I'm staying...

What even is my life?

"At one of the horse racing events." Daniel cuts in, since I failed to respond. He nudges me under the table for me to play along.

"Yeah..." I agree.

"Oh, so you're into watching the races too?" Asks Randall in an almost excited tone. I nod even though I've been to only one in my entire life. It was good though, I'll admit, I just never got a chance to go again.

"Who is your favourite jockey? Who do you bet your money on?" Interrogates Cory.

"Um, I don't really bet on anyone in particular. I like watching the outcomes and being surprised, without cheering for an individual." I try to work my way around it.