Chapter 26

After his explanation, and a talk that lasted another few minutes, everyone made their way back to their rooms. Daniel told us that security at borders of the pack and next to the pack house would be almost doubled in guards, to assure us we can sleep at night.

As for me, I had my personal guard in our bed. Who else would be better than my own mate with a reputation of a killer? I couldn't think of anyone better to do that job.

I had a bath and got ready for bed, which was relaxing without Daniel trying to interfere. He stayed in the office for a while longer. The thought of someone wanting to kill me today however, is unsettling to say the least and I wanted to know more as I felt like it would be the only thing that could make me feel a calmer.

"How did you find out we're in danger?" I ask, as I watch Daniel undress from his clothes from my perfect location, from the best view. He came upstairs only a little after I finished having a bath. I was already in bed, my own eyes shutting down on me from exhaustion but I forced them to stay open for the sight Daniel was providing.

"A friend was out nearby our perimeters. He overheard a suspicious conversation in a café and called my pack about it. The details he gave were enough to figure out that you were a target by someone and that, I quote, 'our man is already in position. He's behind them, waiting for a perfect time to strike.' We connected the rest of the dots, asked Jason where you decided to wander off to, etcetera." He tells me, and I assumed he quoted what his 'friend' initially told him he heard.

"And you think it's either to do with Randall or Nate?" I ask. He leaves his trousers on for now, as I distract him from undressing with my conversation. I should have kept quiet.

"Yes. The only thing that has changed is that I've made two alliances recently, both of which I don't usually do and as a result never experience problems because nobody thinks to cross me." He answers. "Nobody did."

He sounded rather annoyed and I couldn't tell if it was still from the anger he had before, or whether he was now irritated about the fact his title of an Alpha you just don't mess with was beginning to fade.

"They're good." He speaks after a pause of thought. I liked when he did that, he looked like he was in his own world, yet completely aware of his environment. It was a mix that made him look smart. "They used the fact I found my mate as a tool against me. My only weakness."

On one hand, this made me feel good. It made me feel like I was a huge part of his life, but on the other, I wondered if being his 'weakness' made him see me differently. Maybe instead of a positive, he began to see me as a negative in his life. Maybe he's realising I am a weakness in his previous, flawless strategy for keeping his pack in the high rank it is at.

I couldn't lie about the fact it made me feel somewhat special to hear it from him, however.

"Why am I your weakness?" I ask, the thought not leaving me.

He holds up his eye contact with me, and doing so walks towards me slowly enough to build some tension in me, but steadily enough for his sudden proximity to overwhelm me.

He always had this effect on me and I hated it.

"Because I care about you way more than I ever thought I was able to." He quietly tells me, leaning over the bed, close to my face. "Which is why I got angry that you put yourself in danger, leaving the pack alone like that."

His hands were on either side of my body now, as I lay on my side of the bed, him now hovering above me.

"Not that I knew there would be any danger." I roll my eyes. "And I wasn't alone, I was with Alice and Myra."