Chapter 2

I walked through the busy streets of the city where most rich Vampires roam looking for a human to feed on. I looked around me and saw many humans, young and old. I was about to cross the street and walk over to the other side when I saw an elderly woman with her walking stick in one hand and a bag of tomatoes in the other. She was old and weak, so she lost her grip on the bag and the red tomatoes rolled on the solid ground of the street. Some tomatoes fell into a nearby sewer while others were stepped on. Vampires. Filthy things, I thought.

I clutched my purse tightly and walked over to the old woman. "Here." I said as I picked up what remained of her tomatoes: two in my hand and three in hers. She smiled at me weakly and thanked me three times. I closed my eyes and smiled, shaking my head and telling her it was nothing.

"I am sorry to ask this of you, but do you know where the grocery store is? I am new here and I am somehow lost." I said with a gentle smile. She looked at me like a mother would look at her daughter. It brought back memories and those caused feelings to form inside me. I blinked a few times, pushing the memories away.

"I understand if you don't want to help me." I said and I was about to walk away but she grabbed my arm lightly, stopping me in my tracks.

"I'm sorry. Come along, dear. It's the least I can do to thank you for helping me instead of walking on my food for today." she said with a laugh, but the laugh wasn't one of amusement. It was bitter.

I shook my head and apologised, telling her how sorry I was to hear that. She shook her own head and smiled, telling me it wasn't my fault but those rich, handsome business men who took everything away from her. By her description, I knew she was talking about Vampires. My hatred and revenge for them increased to an ultimate level, making me lose every feeling of sadness I had for doing what I do to them.

She took me to the nearest grocery store— the cheapest around. I asked if she could walk with me and help me with my shopping, and she happily agreed. I picked a packet of teabags, some rice, vegetables and other healthy and important things for a human to eat. I picked some kitchenware and some clothes that seemed decent. Yes, they sell those at a grocery store— surprisingly— and that is obviously for more money.

She eyed my shopping with both curiosity and longing. I knew she needed all the things I bought and a few more, but what can I do? When I walked out of the store, pushing the trolley filled with the items I bought, I asked her where she lived. I told her I wanted to pay her back for accompanying me and after a while of arguing, she gave in and walked with me to my car.

She looked at my car with awe and wished me happiness and safety. I placed my items in the boot of the car and opened the front door for her to sit in the passenger's seat.

We talked and asked random questions. I learnt her name was Maya and she was 84 with no husband, no children— no one in general. She said some anonymous donator donates large amounts of money to charities and one of those charities bought her a home to stay in and helped with some basic needs like giving her little money, no bills and some furniture.

My lips curved up in a proud smile.

When we were outside her house, I took a few glances to make sure it was good enough for her. It was a small, cozy brick home with a fenced little garden. It seemed fine on the outside, but looks can be deceiving.