Chapter 27

I couldn't close my eyes for a moment without having those painful dreams of Him. It was torture. Good thing Vampires don't sleep, but when Sebastian compelled me to sleep, I had no choice and after I woke up, I felt as though my joints were placed in the wrong places.

Speaking of that bastard Sebastian, he's been gone for four days now, with my cute Jay. I've been stuck with Sophie, and although I learnt that she was not after my man, she was after me. Each time she came near me, I'd have a seizure. Well, not really, I had to fake it and make it dramatic.

It was exciting to do that. After all, what's life without any drama?

So here I was, lying in bed with Sophie stroking my hair and a dreamy look on her face. I actually came to like her. I've never had a female so close to me since... that day. I've never had a female worrying about me or willing to be near me. Even though Sophie's intentions are not what I want them to be, she said she'd be there for me, and she is right now.

I've never had a female friend before.

Having her stroking my hair in a motherly or sisterly manner was comforting yet saddening. Her parents are still alive, obviously, whereas mine are no longer breathing.

Interesting fact that I learnt, Sophie is Jay's cousin. And she is only a century younger than him. She's 10,172 years old. And interestingly, Sebastian is the youngest unmarried Slade, whereas the rest of them are either children or married. So basically, he is the youngest man of the Slades.

"So tell me, why is Jay hardly around?" I ask, playing with Sophie's beautiful blonde silks. What a contrast to my pure black hair. But it's a good thing she doesn't have black hair, otherwise she'd have something in common with Sebastian. That wouldn't settle with me very well, even though it sounds childish.

She smiles, and then giggles, her green eyes twinkling cutely. "Jay has a secret of his own." I gave her a confused frown, making her giggle more. She scooted closer to me, as though she was about to tell a deadly secret.

"He has his eyes set on a human."

I gasped, shocked. Something in me became strangely alarmed. I had never expected Jay to be into humans. It never actually occurred to me that all this time he was not around, he was keeping an eye on a human he desired. I became curious, wanting to know what and how that human was like. What and how is she like, for her to have caught the eye of a Pureblood? Would she be innocent and naive, like I had been?

"Is this why he's hardly around?" I ask with a smirk, raising an eyebrow. Sophie giggles and nods, but then her eyes glaze over with a different emotion and she stills.

"What was your human like?" she whispers, interested yet hurt. I don't really understand how she'd feel hurt or sad for me. I could hardly feel anything if it wasn't about a certain someone, or someones.

"As in my human side?" I enquire, puzzled. Sophie shakes her head, her hand falling from my hair to gently caress my cheek. If Sebastian finds out about her touching me or lying in our bed, he'd kill her. He made it crystal clear for her to not lay a hand on me before he left.