Chapter 15

It's strange how one's own perspective of the world can change so abruptly. To me it is. Life was always like a fun game that you must play to your heart's content and enjoy everything it offers. Lately, life's been like a giant maze that I cannot seem to find an escape or construct a plan for.

It's frustrating.

I hate feeling lost, without a plan. It feels like I am in a web, and the fact that I am without a plan brings a feeling of helplessness that I do not wish to acknowledge.

I sunk a little further in the warm ocean of the bathtub, hoping to distract myself of the unsettling thoughts.

It's frustrating.

A knock sounded at the door, causing me to snap out of my thoughts and put my attention on the entrance of the bathroom. "What?!" I screamed rudely. I didn't mean to sound so angry and moody, but I just couldn't sort myself out at the moment. I needed time alone, time to be by myself and think freely.

"Just checking." Sebastian, the exact person who I didn't want to be with right now. It's funny, really. In the beginning I thought he was different, different from the other men I've known. They're all the same.

No. They're not all the same. He was and never will be like any of them.

Flames engulfed my village like wild hell, spreading around and wrapping its arms around all that it could reach. I looked around frantically, jumping and sobbing at every pleading cry or scream that reached my ears. My face was wet and irritated from all the tears that were smeared on my cheeks. My eyes were puffy and blurry, and my heart was so painful at the moment.

The night started with a celebration, but I'm not sure if the celebration was for my coming of age or for the death of my people.

It was that instinctive feeling that urged a person to rush because of the fear of losing something of great value. I ran towards my old wooden home, but I couldn't take any more than six steps before I was forcibly stopped, rooted to the ground.

My mother laid there, her neck sliced open and a merciless dagger jabbed into her unmoving body. I tried to scream and let the world hear my fear, but all that happened was my jaw dropping slightly. Her eyes were opened, but they didn't reflect her soul. Instead, they mirrored the flames of the dead. The flames that swallowed everything within its reach.

My father was nowhere to be seen, nowhere to be heard. Non of the screams and pleads belonged to him.

No. My father would prefer to die than beg for anything.

An image flashed in my head and that sent a surge of fear coursing throw my veins, willing my feet to move. Him. I need to find him. I can lose everyone, but if I lost him, I wouldn't be able to live.