Chapter 26

Marco

I had been avoiding this conversation with Josephson for a while for many reasons. For one Josephson had become a sort of mentor for me in the short months that I had worked there and he was still under the impression that I was going to be staying after November. He was in a way grooming me to become him for whenever decided to retire which was a great honor and one I took seriously. He had been trying to talk me into commissioning but I wasn't interested in the time that would take away from my growing family. He had spent many days coming in early and leaving after the sun had set and I knew the strain it was putting on his home life. Second, I hadn't told him the full truth about the whole impregnating a guy thing and I felt a certain duty, to be honest with him. It was new for me to have a male figure I truthfully looked up to because no man I had met in the past fit the mold I was looking for. The men in my life were all weak minded individuals and Josephson was the antithesis of what I had seen growing up in my shit household and within the foster care system.

I stepped into my Commanders office and he smiled at me while eating a doughnut. His wife was a baker and he always seemed to have pastries on his desk if not on his person. Despite his constant grubbing he seemed to be the polar antonym of what anyone would consider overweight or even chubby. 

"Good afternoon Marco, you wanted to talk," he said holding out the box of what looked like maple and bacon doughnuts to me and I gladly grabbed one before sitting down. They made the room smell really nice and inviting.

"Yeah I have some bad, good, and also some odd maybe unbelievable news for you," I said to him and bit into the doughnut that I was sure gave me a sneak peek into heaven. 

"Well spill it," He said taking a sip from a bottle of Sprite on his desk which was probably his third of the day. He loved a good soda which probably would catch up to him in a decade or so.

"Okay... well I'm going to have to take that job the FBI has been offering me. I know I told you there was a chance that I might be leaving and well it has changed from a chance to a certainty," I said looking at him to see how he reacted.

"Wow damn, I thought I'd be seeing your face till I retired in six years. I was prepared to recommend you for commissioning and everything. What made you change your mind it had to be something serious since you seemed determined to stay in when we talked about your future. Well, I guess not really if the money is good and you won't have to cut so many corners and save as you do now. Plus if it's clear cut working hours and you don't have to do PT test and other bullshit," he started to ramble like he usually did when we converse.

"Well I'm expecting triplets and what I'm making now won't support that many children so I have to do what's best for my family and move onto something more viable," I said.

"Oh WOW congratulations Marco I'm really happy for you. I couldn't imagine having that many kids but they are a blessing. I can remember how happy I was when my Annabeth was born and I held her in my arms, it was like this unbreakable bond just took over and every move I made now included her well being. She used to cling to my leg as I left for work crying for me to stay and would draw me a picture and have her mom put them in my lunchbox so I could see them when I ate. Now that she's sixteen all she wants from me is money and an occasional shoulder to cry on when she gets into an argument with her friends or boyfriend, but that bond is still there. The more pressing news is what happened between you and Elm, did you guys break up or something," he asked looking at me shocked because he knew just how much I loved Elm.

"No that's where we get to the and odd maybe unbelievable part of my news, he's the one that is pregnant. Elm is having all three of my children pretty soon" I explained with a straight face, I really had no idea as to how he was going to take this news. He looked at me with a straight face that quickly turned into a large smile as he processed the information ahead.