Chapter 43

Marco

Elm was visibly shaken by his encounter a week ago and I couldn't do much to help him. All of the progress he had made was pushed back because of the prospect of some chasing after him. I believed everything he said since from the little I knew about London that he was possessive over the things he thought was his. Little did he know that I was prepared to show him just how wrong he was. Seeing Elm trying to soldier through his issues was commendable. When it came to taking care of the kids he pushed his issues aside and became Super Dad doing his best to take care of them.

I felt a little guilty that I was happily driving to pick my best friend Corey up from the airport since he needed to stay for the weekend. His aunt passed away and lived in San Fransisco which wasn't too far from our house. He'd be crashing on the couch for the weekend which was nice since it had been over a year since I had last seen him face to face. I pulled along the curb of the airport terminal watching as people made their way in and out. In the corner, a family hugged a young guy. A woman I assumed was a mother was crying her eyes out. At that moment I realized that one day my kids would be leaving us and maybe moving far away. I felt a little emotional and dropped my head a little. I couldn't imagine not seeing my little men every day, my heart was hurting.

Knock
Knock
Knock

I looked up to door and saw Corey peeking through smiling at me. He had gained some muscle from the last time I saw him. I unlocked the door to let him in the car.

"Yo is you crying," he asked opening the back door and throwing his luggage in

"Shut the fuck up," I told him as he finally made it to the front seat. He laughed at me then dapped me up before I took off. The car behind me decided it would be a good idea to honk so I stopped for a full thirty seconds then took off again out of the Airport's premises.

"How you been," I asked Corey who was playing with the air conditioning.

"I've been good you know aside from the whole Aunt passing thing but life's been good. Me and Angela have been going strong for about six months now," he responded. He had been dating Angela off and on for as long as I knew him and they had finally decided to really work on staying together. Corey could be headstrong at times and had to tone that down in order to keep her which was a good thing. I could tell how much he had changed over the phone when he spoke about little things. It was important that he matured because his old ways were not paying off well for him, and he would say the same if he was being truly honest with himself.

"I mean your life is the interesting story," he said to me taking his shades off.

"Is it," I asked him knowing it already to be true.

"Nigga, I asked you to go to the store and you end up saving a victim of sex trafficking. You then get on a fucking train across the country with this lil dude and start helping him with his recovery. Then you apparently have a magic dick that impregnated him with fraternal triplets, you leave the military and get a badass job making three times what you made in the Air Force and started school again. Added on top of all that you are dealing with Elm's captor that could strike at any time. All I've done in the last year and a half was fuck one girl continuously and get a job as an Accountant," he responded.