Chapter 21

Marco

We walked into the doctor's office arguing about if having a daughter would be better than having a son. I was determined for him to see my side of things which meant he would have to agree that having my son would be better. The building was open and warm with the smell of vanilla wafting through the air. The lights cast an amber glow and there was soft elevator type music playing in the background. This was the converse of what I was used to in military hospitals that tended to be crowded and cold. He wasn't my husband and it would be quite hard to get my affordable but not always the best healthcare to cover a male pregnancy even if we got them to believe that was true. Elm also wanted nobody to know what was going on with the pregnancy other than close family members.

"Look a son would be so much better don't get me wrong I would love to have a little princess running around the house but I want someone to play catch with," I argued.

"So a girl can't play catch? I wasn't aware that girls didn't have arms and hands but thanks for informing me," he shot back at me.

"I want a junior," I said trying not to fall into his trap. He may not be a fighter but he was definitely a master instigator.

"And I want some soda but I can't have that can I," he said with a sigh. I knew he would kill for a cold glass of watermelon Fanta but I read that it was bad to have caffeine during pregnancy and barred soda, coffee, and even some teas.

"Nope but you can drink your water that's good for you," I said stopping us both and waiting for him to drink some of the water from the bottle in his hands.

"I'll be happy with whatever we have I would prefer a boy but if it's a girl I'll cherish her just as much," I said and kissed his forehead then we walked to the check-in in counter Elm holding onto my shirt. We had gotten there early as to avoid any questions from people who might ask why two men were in a Gynecology and Pediatrics practice. Dr. Nisbalm told us to come in before their official opening when we told him that Elm was pregnant.

"Hello were here for our 7:30 special appointment with Dr. Nisbalm," I said to the woman sitting behind the desk.

"Hello Marco and Elm follow me," Dr.Nisbalm said appearing in the hallway to the left of us before the receptionist could say anything. We walked over to him and he brought us into an exam room with his hands out to the exam table. I lifted Elm up and placed him on top of it so he wouldn't have to climb and took a seat next to him. Elm's pediatrician was the only person in the state with the knowledge about Elm's condition so he would be caring for him well into his adulthood or until he retired.

"Alright well, the first thing I want to say is congratulations to you guys. Children no matter how they get here or who they come from are some of the biggest blessings you can receive in this world and I have no doubt you two would bring a beautiful child into a caring/ loving home. Although I am insanely happy for you guys I have a duty as a professional healer in to tell you guys some flat out risks if you choose to continue on with this pregnancy."

"Okay," I said and took Elm's hand noticing that he was getting nervous and antsy. This was a lot of pressure for him and I was feeling a little guilty for not using a condom but it was too late to turn back now. If I could turn back time I had no idea if I would do anything different. I was wildly happy at becoming a father with the man that I loved but I hate that I was also putting his body through the changes that he was going through.

"Well, the most pressing risks regards own Elm's well-being, not just the babies. Though his body has made adjustments for him to get pregnant he still his anatomy is mostly male. Also, he's built very small and slender which is common for people with his condition yet if he doesn't gain enough weight through eating the proper foods that I will tell him to, later on, he won't have enough nutrients to share between him and the baby which can be catastrophic. The baby will take what it can to survive even if that means Elm will go without. Additionally, he will have to have a Cesarean procedure to deliver the child since he doesn't have a vagina to deliver the baby from. The procedure is really quicker than a natural birth. I will be the one to perform it with a team that I'm convening if you should move forward. All I would do is make an incision above the pelvis then move a few organs in your abdomen around in order to get to his uterus. Once my field of vision is clear I would incise along the uterine wall and pull the baby out. Once all of that is done I'd staple you up and bandage you. C-sections carry the risk of hemorrhaging, injury to organs which would be increased in your case since there's a lot more to move around. You could develop adhesions and infections which are more often than anything. Do you understand these risks and choose to continue with your pregnancy."