Chapter 52

Maddox

"Coral Highs QB Tyshawn Jefferson throws the ball to number twenty-four... He catches it amazingly and ducks an attempted tackle from the opposing left tackle and nobody can touch him. TOUCHDOWN! Coral High bringing the game to 42-38 with Central in the lead," the commentator said through the speaker that blared behind me.

"That's right Ozias," Dad and Grandpa shouted while my family all clapped loudly. Mom looked like he was coming down from a heart attack. He would hate to see any of his sons hurt so watching Ozias get tackled wasn't a fun experience for him.

"Yeeeeaaaahhhh," Wylder shouted from the side of me a little late which caused Cartier and Beo to laugh as everyone looked at her while she went back to looking at her phone.

"Angel," I said to her trying not to laugh.

"Yeah, I know," she said obviously embarrassed. I smiled at her cute face pretending to be focused on the home screen of her phone while pretending to type. She was probably daydreaming before she embarrassed herself. I liked that she was able to drift into the depths of her mind whenever she wanted to. Her eyes would squint a little and her nose would twitch like a rabbit's. It was the cutest thing that I had ever had the pleasure of witnessing. Oscar and Nia had let her come out since it was the weekend. I hadn't seen her anywhere but school the whole week my father's were gone since she wasn't allowed over without one of them present. My mom and dad both seemed rejuvenated by their honeymoon that was over three weeks ago and had big smiles on their faces. At first, I thought they were having another baby but Mom quickly shut that notion down adamantly.

I looked back over at Wylder after my brother got tackled and my mom took in a breath, he was so dramatic was all I could think. Wylder had the school grades app open and was looking through the various hundreds she had in the grade book seemingly bored to death by the game in front of her. She was second in our class the top spot going to Calloway while I stood at fifth in our class and Ozias at seventh. Calloway was just a monster academically. He wasn't as athletically inclined but school seemed to be the gym for him. He had to be on top of his game in order to get into Stanford University without a sports scholarship like Ozias and I were banking on. It was our goal to all get into Standford and have our college experience together before we had to head off on our own lives. I looked over wondering where Calloway had gone since he went to get something from the concessions ten minutes ago plus he loved watching us play. I ignored it seeing Ozias get tacked just as the final bell rang signaling the game was over. Zi got up off the grass looking pissed but took a deep breath and pulled his helmet off calming himself before running to his coach.

"Damn I bet money they would win," Uncle Alder said and received a swift slap to the back of the head from aunt Thalia.

"Are you fucking serious, where's your class. Betting on your nephew's game how low brow of you," Uncle Tyler said with fake distaste.

"Nigga you were the one who started the bets," Pine asked giving his husband the side-eye.

"I'm sorry when did anyone call you to give a statement," Tyler responded rolling his eyes. Pine leaned over and whispered something into his ear and causing him to smile.

"Can we not do this here," Grandma asked looking like she was freezing even though she was wearing a fluffy blanket around her and my grandpa had his arm over her shoulders.

"Fine," they all responded.

"Where's Call," Cartier asked looking around for him.

"Probably in some little boys face batting his eyelashes and grinning real hard," Aunt Thalia said looking at Mom and Dad who still thought their son was still "pure". It was funny how they so easily took in the lie he kept telling them.