Chapter 1

"When is dad coming home?"

"I need his help with my guitar."

"He hasn't even called."

God, this was getting exhausting. Don't get me wrong, being a full time mom is awesome, but raising three teenagers is hard. Kane, 16, Lexi 15, and Austin is 15 as well, it can be difficult. I rolled my eyes.

"I don't want to hear another word about this. Your father will be home in a couple of days, alright? Now, grab your backpacks and get in the car." I pointed my thumb to the front door where all their bags were hanging on hooks that had their names over them.

I drove all my kids to school, but I had to speed to get my eight year old daughter Aster to her school.

"Mama loves you. Have a great day baby!" I called out the window, blowing her a kiss. Aster turned around, her caramel braids waving back and forth.

"I love you mommy!" A big smile spread across her face and I rolled up the window. I watched as she hopped up the concrete stairs, taking each step one at a time. Then I thought about it.

Nick really hasn't called or texted since he left for tour. Or maybe I've been too busy with the kids to notice. He was scheduled to fly home in a couple of days, and I was more then excited to see my husband. I was also excited to go home and maybe take a nap.

When I got home, I realized I should do the laundry since Austin has been complaining about his basketball uniform being dirty. I got so mad when he whined about it, but kept it to myself and kindly told him I'd take care of it. I trudged up the stairs to the kids' rooms, picking up their dirty clothes along the way. I threw a load in the washer and let out a breath.

I finally got up to my bedroom almost an hour later because I had sidetracked myself and began doing the dishes and cleaning the rest of the kitchen. I laid on the bed, pulling the covers over myself and letting out a comfortable sigh. I snuggled my body into the mattress, ready to sleep. Then, my phone rang.

"Hello?" I answered, sounding a little annoyed.

"Mrs. Jonas? Kane's mother?"

"Speaking."

"Your son has been suspended for two days. He back talked to his teacher today. That's his third detention." I rolled my eyes and silently groaned. How I wish Nick was here. I pushed the covers off, standing up and going down the stairs.

"I'll be there. Thank you." I slid my phone in my pocket, driving to the school.

"Really Kane?" I asked my son, aggravated, as he got in the passenger seat. I only glared at him as he looked at me.

"Sorry mom. She was being a b-"

"Don't you dare say it. Your father and I did not raise you that way. When you get home, you go straight up to your room. Understand?" Kane nodded, slumping against at the seat and looking out the window. I fake smiled.

"Good." I drove us home and became even more mentally drained. Kane went up to his room and gave me his phone as ordered. I was doing laundry like crazy, and knew that I couldn't take a nap now. I was busying myself with too much.

As I folded Aster's clothes, I danced around the living room while listening to my favorite country music. I had it going through the surround sound connected to the tv, and I sang along to it as well.

"What are you doing mom?" I heard Kane's voice asked me. I whipped around on my heel, smiling sheepishly at him. Then I put my hands on my hips and raised an eyebrow at my son.

"What are you doing son?" He put his hand up in fake surrender and widened his eyes. I smirked then went back to my music.

...