Chapter 38

"How was mudding?" Nick asked, drinking from his Diet Coke, as we sat at a late lunch on Thursday.

"It was awesome. Her brother's really great, and we just had the greatest time." I smiled, taking a fry from my plate and putting it in my mouth.

"That's awesome. I spoke, it turns out. They called me up to speak at the tribute, and I did it." I widened my eyes. I drank from my water and pressed my lips together before replying.

"You did? How did it go?" I asked.

"Really well. I didn't have anything planned though." Nick chuckled.

"I'm sure it was amazing. Just like you." I leaned over and kissed his lips quickly, and sat back in my chair.

"Joe just texted me." He said, looking down at his phone.

"What'd he say?"

"His girl kicked him out, and he needs somewhere to stay." His eyes met mine. We didn't have an extra room for him to stay in. And I wasn't going to make him sleep on the couch.

"Yeah, okay. Are we gonna have him stay with us?"

"How do you feel about it?" My husband asked me, drinking soda. I looked out the window of the restaurant, seeing people at tables out on the patio. I looked back to him.

"Yeah. Why not?" I shrugged, smiling a bit.

Nick and I got home, after picking up the kids from school, and Joe was already at the house. His car was sitting in the driveway and he was in the driver seat.

"Uncle Joe!" Lexi and Aster exclaimed, running from the car and up to him as he got out of the truck. He embraced in his arms, smiling.

"How are my two girls?" He asked them, ruffling their hair. Lexi just lit up around her uncle, and it made me extremely happy to see her like that. Maybe having him here won't be so bad.

"Let's get your stuff inside." Nick said to his brother, grabbing two of the suitcases he had brought with. I opened the house and Nick and Joe went inside, the kids following. Ace greeted us all right away, his tongue lolling from his mouth happily.

"Hi baby." I crouched down and scratched behind his ears, kissing his head over and over. The guys got Joe settled in and Nick came down into the kitchen by me while I started doing the dishes. Ace sat next to me, not moving as I walked around him.

"Are you ignoring me on purpose?" Nick teasingly question, leaning on the island counter.

"No. I just have a lot to do is all." Then he let out an exaggerated sigh. I rolled my eyes, too amused to be mad, and twirled around the lean on the counter across from him, putting my hand under my chin.

"Yes Nicholas?" I batted my eyelashes and smiled at him.

"So, uh, Aster is sleeping with us." He bit his bottom lip in anticipation of my response.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean, Joe is staying in her room, and she'll be with us. All the other kids are too old."

"But she just got comfortable sleeping all on her own." I whined, my posture slumping.

"I know. It'll be fine, trust me." He smiled boyishly at me, making me smile as well. He could make me smile or laugh without doing anything at all, and it still amazes me to this day.

"Oh! I wanna show you what I found the other day before I left." I said excitedly, going to the living room. There was a DVD sitting by the tv, and I put it there for a reason. I brought it to him in the kitchen.

"Our wedding video." He stated, a small smile coming across his lips.

"Yeah. Gosh, it seems like it was just yesterday I was getting swept off my feet by my Prince Charming who, by the way, I was convinced I'd never find." I faked a quick smile, tipping my head to the side and batting my lashes at my husband.

"I love with all my heart Nicholas Jerry Jonas." I blew a kiss to the camera and smiled with my nude colored lipstick on. Then it faded out and the credits began rolling. Slight tears were at the corners of my eyes, the same thing that always happens whenever we watch it.

"Hey guys. I'm gonna go out for a bit, I won't be loud when I get home tonight, promise." Joe said from the doorway of our bedroom. Nick looked up.

"Alright, see ya man." Joe winked at his brother and then left us alone. My blue eyed gaze looked at the screen that showed the opening picture to the video menu. I was so happy that day, it was overwhelming.

"Time for bed!" Aster came barging into the room, holding at least four stuffed animals and the book I always read to her at night to fall asleep. I wiped my eyes and shut the tv off, getting off the bed and grabbing her. This is going to be interesting.

...