Chapter 5

My hangover lasted the majority of the day, and so I spent most of it in bed or in the living room with the shades drawn.

"How you feeling?" Nick leaned over the back of the couch, kissing my forehead and putting a bowl of ice cream into my lap. Oh, he knew me so well.

"My everything hurts." I whined, knowing that I sounded just like the kids.

"Aw baby. You're cute." He scrunched his nose and came to sit by me, as I was taking up half the couch. I sat up, eating my ice cream and thanking him over and over.

"Can you bring Austin to his basketball game please?"

"He wants you there too." My husband said to me, biting his lip. I took someone ice cream off my spoon, and decided to suck it up.

"Then I suppose we'll both be going." I confirmed.

"I'll probably be able to only stay for the first half. But yeah, we can all go I suppose." He agreed. I scowled at him, both of us knowing it was a joke. Nick only smirked and chuckled at me as I slowly shook my head.

"Just let me finish my ice cream." I said and he patted my leg before standing up and disappearing upstairs. I finished it and then put my bowl in the dishwasher, going to the bedroom to change into something more presentable.

I walked into my closet and picked out a pair of leggings, along with a jersey that said Jonas on the back. Nick had gotten it from one of the many charity sports games he's played, and I wore it quite a bit. Since it was late spring, I figured I could just wear this and be alright.

"Mom!" Lexi came barging into the room, and I was only in my pants and bra. She put her hands on her hips, standing in front of me.

"Yes my darling?" I mocked, smiling as motherly as I could. She gave me a little sneer.

"Do I have to go to Austin's stupid game?"

"Did you talk to your father?"

"He said I have to." My daughter pouts. I smirked, crossing my arms over my chest and standing straight up. I slipped the jersey over my head as Lexi stomped back out of the room. My headache was starting to go away, and my cramps were beginning.

I went into the large bathroom connected to our room, studying my reflection. I put half of my hair into a top knot on my head and curled the rest of it, tousling it a bit. I applied a full face of makeup, as much as I didn't feel like it. We had about an hour until the game, but Austin had to be there twenty minutes earlier. Suddenly, Nick came in a wrapped a towel around his waist after all his clothes were thrown on the heated, tile floor.

"Why are you so sexy all the time?" I asked, purring a bit.

"I'm not even doing anything."

"Exactly." I smirked, circling my arms around his neck and pulling his lips onto mine quickly. His mouth went to my neck and I gasped before hearing Lexi screaming at her brothers. I giggled, my husband removing his lips from my skin.

"I'm gonna hop in the shower quick baby." He stepped into the tile shower, discarding the towel on the floor. I walked out of the room to make sure that all the kids were ready to go shortly. Kane and Aster were at the table, Aster explaining to her brother all the names of her Barbie dolls and why. I found it amusing. Austin was pacing in the sun room, bouncing his basketball back and forth.

"What's up bud?" I questioned, leaning against the wall, a hand on my hip. My son looked me in the eyes and told me that he couldn't do it. That he couldn't play in that game today. I sat him down, talked with him, and he ended up hugging me. Keep in mind, the last time this happened was almost a year ago at his birthday party when Nick and I got him a trampoline to practice front and back flips.

Austin was all hyped up as Nick drove us all to the high school. The rival team was practicing, and Austin met up with his friends. The rest of us found a spot on the bleachers where there wasn't anyone else near us. My husband embraced me the entire time, except when our son shot the winning basket. I swear, the entire Jonas family was up on our feet, cheering our butts off for him.

After the game, we went out to dinner, and that's when I started to get cranky. I knew that it was my period, and by now I knew how to control it and keep my emotions in check, but tonight it was particularly difficult. The kids were all having their own conversations, when Nick looked me straight in the eyes. I knew that look.

"I'm fine." I insisted quietly, raising my menu in front of my face so I couldn't see him. I saw his hand reach over it, and my husband pulled it down to look at me.

"Katy..."

"We can talk about it at home. Let's not make this about me, it's about Austin." I smiled at my youngest son, and he gave me one back. And for the first time in awhile, I saw a true light in his eyes.

...