Chapter 32

After having seen the video, I stared at Nick, speechless. I wasn't sure how to feel about it. Yes, I was a bit jealous of Shay having been in the video, but I knew that it was just work and there was nothing really going on.

"We should check in on the kids. Let them know we'll be coming home tomorrow." I went over and pulled my laptop from my bag and set it on my lap, logging in.

"What'd you think of the video?" Nick asked me. I only shrugged.

"Your opinion's important to me Kaitlin." He sternly told me, putting his finger under my chin and I turned my head to look at him. He had an eyebrow raised at me.

"It was good. I'm proud of you babe." I said to him honestly. I was very proud of him, for everything he's done in the music business. I looked back to the computer screen, Skyping Denise so we could talk to the kids.

It took a few minutes to connect, so I took that time to tell Nick that I was sorry. Sorry for blowing up at him, sorry about the time he got taken to jail all because I didn't handle the situation calmly like I should've. His lips lanes on mine softly, and as soon as the laptop altered us it was connecting, I pulled away and straightened myself up.

"Hi mom." I smiled to Denise in the camera. She smiled back.

"Hi honey. How are you two enjoying your vacation?"

"It's been amazing. This one is treating like an absolute queen." I glanced to my husband quick and smiled. The corners of his mouth tugged up into a smile and it showed pride.

"That's awesome. I suppose you want to talk to the kids then?" Nick nodded. She called all the kids throughout the house, and all four of them crowded in front of the camera.

"Hi babies." I said, waving at them. The four of them waved back and Nick said hi to them. We asked them how their stay with Nick's parents' was going, and then we talked to Austin alone. He went into his room to make sure no one else heard.

"I'm doing good. I....I attempted last night..." Austin said, looking at the screen blankly. I put my hand over my mouth, as though that would keep me from crying. Tears escaped my eyes, but I tried my best to keep them at bay.

"Why didn't you say anything?" I hissed at him, swallowing my tears down. Nick got off the bed, going into the bathroom and shutting the door. Austin shrugged, but seemed to then look me in the eyes.

"I figured it'd be easier for everyone if I kept it to myself."

"You're not alone Austin. You've gotta understand that." I insisted. I wiped the tears away. I hated to see him hurt, and there wasn't much I could do about it.

"I'm trying mom. I really am." He cried to me, and I could his eyes glistening from tears that were threatening to come.

"I know baby." I said quietly before looking back at him.

"Wanna tell me what happened?" I questioned softly, bracing myself for what I was about to hear, whatever it was.

"Grandpa had this bottle of pills....I tried to get them open, but was shaking so bad that it took me almost a half hour. No one bothered me. I looked at myself in the mirror and figured I should stop."

"Anything in particular that got you to stop?"

"Aster." I just about lost it. That girl has looked up to him since she was able to walk, and she definitely doesn't let him forget it.

"That's...that's good honey. You get some sleep, okay. Your father and I should be home late tomorrow night. We'll see you guys the next day though. I'll probably pick you guys up after school then."

"Alright, I love you mom."

"I-I love you too baby." I shut my laptop and that's when I broke down in tears. Nick came from the bathroom, and I figured he listened in on the conversation so he knew when it was over. Once I saw him, I knew he'd been crying too. He wiped his eyes and sat by me. My husband gathered me in his arms and I sobbed in his shoulder, letting out wails as quiet as I could.

"I can't sleep now." I said to Nick as we were laying in bed a few hours later.

"I know. Neither can I." I felt his hand on my thigh, and his thumb caressed my skin. I scooted my body closer to his, laying my head on his chest. I could hear his heart beating rhythmically through his t-shirt.

"I love you Nick Jonas." I whispered.

"I love you Katy." He said back to me, then turned the tv on.

...